SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
This section should include a detailed analysis of the market in which your company operates. Quantifiable data (including sources) should be used here. This will show if the Product/Service/Company is in a growing, flat or declining market.
This section should provide detail on the uncontrollable factors which may influence the success of your company/product. For example, if a new law such as the Nutritional Labeling Education Act is about to be enacted the marketing plans of a food company will be affected. If you know what is happening on the "outside", you can account for these situations in your plan.
Consumers have found that “the web is an easier way to disseminate information than traditional media. Blogs, discussion boards, videos, and reviews all offer glimpses of real-life experiences with products, and in addition to pictures of various styles and instructions about how to achieve certain looks, companies can also encourage interaction and questions while projecting their brand images”
Recalls: chemicals in antiperspirants cause negative reactions
Current research shows that consumers are using alternative shopping outlets in search of a deal (3). Old Spice can take advantage of this trend by utilizing their already existing website which includes a list of on-line retailers that allow their products to be available at any time. If you are unsure of where a local Old Spice retailer may be located, there is a zip code search option located on their webpage. This search option guarantees that anyone can find the closest accessible location offering Old Spice deodorant, therefore never allowing the consumer to be removed from their product.
When either of these brands create new products and or product lines it takes away from Old Spice’s market share. Axe billboard “For men that would rather be with women than on a horse”
In analyzing the market segmentation and Old Spice sales, it is clear that the “Classic” products are more limited and not as prevalent in the current product mix.Intergrade wild collection
Retail sales in the antiperspirant and deodorant market remained fairly stable from 2008-2010, which indicates that this product is resistant to recessionary pressures. Based on recent research data, most people spend between $2.50 and $4.50 per container of antiperspirant/deodorant. Statistically, 13% of males spend less than $2.50, 52% spend between $2.50 and $4.50, and 18% spend between $4.50 and $10.00. When researching pricing at a local supermarket and also online, it was found that the price of a container of deodorant ranges between $1.50 and $4.50, which is in line with the market research data.At the local supermarket, Old Spice antiperspirant/deodorant products have a price ranging from $1.50 to $4.39. This is reflective of a strategy that Old Spice offers a range of products depending on consumer preference of scent and/or performance. A smaller container with a basic scent was priced at $1.50, which meets the needs of someone who is price conscience, but also recognizes the value and quality of the Old Spice brand. As the prices increase for Old Spice so do the scents available and suggested performance. There is a $2.79 price level, a $4.19 price level, and a $4.39 price level. Old Spice’s High Endurance and Red Zone lines have higher price levels, as they suggest better performance. In addition, these lines have more scent offerings.
Advertising created by Wieden + Kennedy, a private advertising agency based out of SeattleThe Wild Collection has been advertised extensively through TV, print, and online ads, as well as interactive advertising via social media
“One example is our Old Spice campaign, where we had 1.8 billion free impressions” -McDonald
Old Spice: Wild Collection Case Study
Old Spice and the Wild Collection
Mark, Cindy, Joey, Rob
Manufacturer: Procter and Gamble
Acquired by P&G in 1990 from the Shulton Company
Industry: Male Grooming Products
P&G Annual Marketing Budget: $10 billion
Wieden + Kennedy advertising firm for Old Spice
Old Spice Background
• “Provide branded products and services of superior
quality and value that improve the lives of the world‟s
consumers, now and for generations to come. As a result,
consumers will reward us with leadership sales, profit and
value creation, allowing our people, our shareholders and
the communities in which we live and work to prosper.”
• “The idea is that these primal scents bring out the wild,
masculine side of men” while having “a little more
sophisticated look and feel”
Old Spice and Wild Collection
External Analysis: Competitive Analysis
• Major competitors: Axe, a Unilever brand; and
Right Guard, a Dial brand.
HOW DO COMPETITORS COMPETE?
• PRODUCT, PRICE, PLACE, PROMOTION
Axe generally targets the teen to late teen demographic
Axe Apollo Campaign
Right Guard markets to the sports enthusiast
Both competitors can be found at the same places
and cost about the same.
ARE THEY VULNERABLE TO YOUR NEW OFFERING
AND HOW WILL THEY RESPOND?
• Axe is vulnerable because as users in their target market age,
they will be likely to switch brands to a more mature
positioned product such as the Wild Collection.
Janitorial& Carpet Cleaning Services Industry
Pet food Manufacturing Industry
Personal Care Products Manufacturing Industry
Soap & Other Detergent Manufacturing Industry
Snack Foods Manufacturing Industry
• Wild Collection, Red Zone, High Endurance, Fresh Collection, Red
Zone: Sweat Defense, Classic, Odor Blocker, Dry Skin Defense
• Antiperspirants, deodorant, body wash, body spray, bar soap, shave
gel and fragrance
Return Policy: If you received a damaged or defective item from us, or the wrong item was shipped to you,
you will not be responsible for return shipping charges and we will not charge any restocking fee or other fee
in connection with the return. In addition, you will receive a full refund for the item. For all returns other
than damaged, defective or incorrectly-shipped items, we will charge a return shipping fee of $5.00 per
package returned and a restocking fee equal to 20% of the purchase price for each item returned
• Current: 77.94
• 52 week: 59.07 - 82.54
• SEGMENTATION ANALYSIS:
TARGET MARKET: Males 18-24
Who: Males usually buy; some females
What: Primarily men‟s deodorant; in personal grooming
When: shopping for the house
Where: Convenience, grocery stores, and super-stores
Why: Old Spice provides branded products and services of superior
quality and value that appeal to young men
SWOT Analysis: Strengths
• Brand recognition; marketing
• Many products offered
• New products liked by younger demographic
• By creating more products and product line Old Spice benefited
from allowing consumers to experiment within the brand;
retaining their market share.
Leading market position from a strong brand portfolio
Significant R&D and marketing investments
Strategic acquisitions expanded P&G's product portfolio
Increasing presence in the developing markets
Strong cash productivity
SWOT Analysis: Weaknesses
• Neglecting older demographic
• P&G probably relies on Gilette for late 25-40 demographic
but for Old Spice, it is a weakness.
• Increasing instances of product recalls
• No shampoo products. Axe has shampoo products on top
of their deodorants and body washes
SWOT Analysis: Opportunities
• Expand market, focused on BRIC countries
• Old Spice is not present in these countries that have
incredibly rapid economic growth.
• The Growing middle classes in these countries
could present big opportunities for Old Spice in
Growing personal care and household care markets
Growing men's grooming industry
Initiatives to improve productivity
Expand Old Spice Body Spray product line
Development of an Organic/Natural Product Line
SWOT Analysis: Threats
• Competitors: Axe and Right Guard
• Negative skin reactions caused by high scent loadings;
• This can lose customers to a competitor and deter new
customers from the brand entirely
• Rising input cost inflation
• Store brand imitations
• “Classic” products target market ages
Marketing Strategy: Goals
• Old Spice is primarily geared to men ages 18 to 24; The Wild
Collection aims at the older end of that spectrum to keep users in
• Increase brand recognition through ad campaigns and social
• Grow in Sales and Volume
• Increase already ruling market-share for men‟s grooming products.
• Continue to encourage young to middle age men with innovation of
• Develop new “manly” scents
• Concentrated marketing strategy- Large share of one or more
segments of a market.
• The modern Old Spice brand contains numerous male
grooming products, but is segmented in five clear lines,
comically referred to as the “Gentleman‟s Stockade”:
Antiperspirant, Deodorant, Body Wash, Body Spray and
• The product lines are expanded primarily based on scent and
product type and all utilize a similar color scheme containing
red or white packaging, various sailing ship logo and “Old
Spice” written in classic cursive.
• All Products look familiar
• Ex:This Powerpoint and products
• 3 new scents -- Foxcrest, Hawkridge and Wolfthorn -- are available
in stick deodorant, body spray, body wash, after shave lotion, and
new cologne spray.
• Foxcrest suits the man of the day, with the always hirsute mix of
woods, musk, green herbs and a dash of citrus.
• a cool and cunning fragrance that keeps the senses sharp, yet
• Hawkridge was crafted with date night in mind, mixing rich, red
fruits and chocolate with finishing notes of musk and sandalwood.
• Formulated with spicy, manly ingredients to capture the raw power of
• Wolfthorn is for the nocturnal animal; a pulpy
mix of citrus and mango with bases of vanilla and
Wild Collection: Product
• Price: $2-5 (Excluding shaving cream)
• Priced fairly enough to be in a wide range of stores
• Higher quality products; higher price
• Old spice bundles products together
• Cheaper to buy in bundle rather then individual products
• Gift sets come around the holidays
Marketing Strategy: Pricing
• Old Spice deodorant can be found at almost any retail
• Their product line is carried at mega-retailers such as WalMart, Costco, and Target as well as local grocery and
convenience stores. Those options currently make up a large
part of the sales percentage of deodorant.
• Options `gives consumers more choices which results in more
• their already existing website which includes a list of on-line
retailers that allows customers to see where
products are sold in the nearest location
Marketing Strategy: Placement
• The Old Spice brand has undergone significant repositioning
since it was acquired by P&G, with a greater emphasis on a
younger demographic. Before P&G Old Spice focused on the
older male demographic. Products conceived before P&G are
currently categorized as “Classic” and bear an older logo, color
palette and product packaging.
• Acknowledges old roots with “If your grandfather hadn‟t worn
it,” it says, “you wouldn‟t exist.” on packaging.
• Old Spice seeks to appeal to both men and women in their
advertising so that women that are shopping will be more
likely to purchase Old Spice products.
• Old Spice encourages experimentation of products among
young men. (Giving samples out at high school events)
• The Wild Collection harnesses is man‟s call of the wild. The
collection‟s are spiced in just a way to give off the air of business, but
not as usual
• At the same time, as the advertising campaign makes clear, the scents
are not meant to project that their wearers are wallflowers, but rather,
that they are men who want to be viewed as manly, seductive and
maybe a little intimidating
• Representing the dangerous side of masculinity and inspired by the
personality attributes, eating habits and mating rituals of wild
animals, the Old Spice Wild collection is a sophisticated line-up of
man smells that helps guys answer the smell of the wild.
• Old Spice is primarily geared to men ages 18 to 24. WC aims
at the end of the spectrum
• In the grand scheme of mannish history, Foxcrest Deodorant
might be considered the turning point from wild stink to wild
nights of face-winking and pleasurable food delicacies in the
company of lady lovelies.
• Foxcrest is a cool and cunning fragrance that keeps the senses
sharp, yet seductive.
• For cunning gentleman
• Hawkridge: Get ready for the hens to invite you into the coop
• Wolfthorn is marketed as a fragrance for the man who can run
alone or with a pack and for nocturnal creatures.
• Old Spice spent $46.2 million on advertising in 2011 and $16.6
million in the first nine months of 2012
• Old Spice‟s promotional strategy has been extremely
successful over the last 2-4 years
• In the last 3 years, Old Spice has focused heavily on
• Most notable to consumers are their effective use of
advertising, sales promotion, event sponsorship,
use of digital media and public relations.
• Old Spice commonly uses celebrities in their campaigns;
• Fabio, Terry Crews
• Their television advertisements had a carried over
to digital media. Old Spice uses Twitter, Youtube,
Facebook and their company websites to promote
Marketing Strategy: Promotion
• In the year following “The Man Your Man Could Smell
Like” campaign, Old Spice received 40 million Youtube,
increased Twitter followers by 2,700%, Facebook traffic
increased 800% and website traffic increased 300%.
• Making effective use of digital media has strengthened Old
Spice‟s connection with their target market and created
• The humorous creative frames Old Spice products in a
way that they can contribute to confidence and
attractiveness, playing on male bravado.
Marketing Strategy: Promotion cntd.
• Old Spice employs direct marketing through their
displays techniques in stores.
• Men‟s grooming products are typically found in the health
and beauty sections of stores. By building on the expanding
“male grooming” market, Old Spice has been a lead
contributor to the development of the concept of “Man
Aisle”, a direct marketing technique creating a separate
aisle containing all male-specific products as opposed to
mixing them in with female products.
• Advertising created by Wieden + Kennedy
• Introduced during the third quarter of the Super Bowl
• Advertised through TV, print, and online ads, as well as
interactive advertising via social media
• The advertisements are focused specifically on the Wild
Collection product line, however they show an „umbrella‟
effect that results in increased sales in all products.
Wild Collection Promo
• For cunning gentlemen
• Alpha dog marketing style
• Women gaze approvingly at the Hawkridge user, but
the primary message is not that his scent attracts
women, like Axe ads, but that it vanquishes other men.
• Intimidation is at the heart of a commercial for another scent in
the line, Hawkridge. The other things that are important besides
girls are money and winning.
• the poker-game commercial might be especially appealing to
men who started using Old Spice as adolescents and were at
risk of abandoning it for what they perceived as more
In addition, Old Spice employed Mr. Wolfdog to address the
brand‟s well-known humorous side to advertising
Wild Collection Promo
Wild Collection Commercials
• Facebook- Facbook.com/OldSpice
• 2.3 million likes
• Twitter- @OldSpice; @DirectorWolfDog
• 3,360 Tweets; 230k followers
• Youtube- Youtube.com/OldSpice
• 480 videos; 325,647 subscribers
• 22 Wild Collection videos; 3mil views
• Live business webinars; also on Ustream
• LinkedIn- www.linkedin.com/in/directorwolfdog
• 266 connections
• Tumblr- MrWolfDog.com
• 32 blog posts
• Mr. Wolfdog searched for an assistant through Hangouts
• Pinterest- Pinterest.com/mrwolfdog
Social Media Marketing
• Automated interactive fake business call: 1-866-695-2407
• Mr. Wolfdog played Xbox Live with fans
• Released an album of inspirational business music
• Spotify playlist
Social Media Marketing cntd
Why Old Spice Marketing is Successful
• Creative and Unconventional
• Simple, easy and straight
• Keeping their content
Use of social media to
activate mass media
• Mainstream media
outlets used to tap into
• Superbowl XL viewers in
2013: 164 mil. (34% of US
• Millions of views on
• Facebook posts
• Engaged in personal
The WC campaign is exactly what consumers have come to expect from the brand:
brilliantly tongue in cheek, self-referential and full of the viral hooks that the internet loves
Mintel: Antiperspirants and Deodorants – US – February 2011
Mintel: Fragrances – US – September 2011
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_44/b3906117.htm - Changing Old Spice‟s Message
Mintel: Soap, Bath and Shower Products – US – March 2011
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_44/b3906116.htm - Old Spices Extreme Make Over
Data Monitor: Old Spice Case Study
Mintel: Men‟s Toletries US September 2011
The Emerging Middle Class in Developing Countries by Homi Kharas – Centre For Development
The America's Intelligence Wire, April 27, 2011 pNA
Appendix: Charts, Tables,