4. Student-centered learning, also known as learner-
centered instruction, broadly encompasses methods of teaching that
shift the focus of instruction from the teacher to the student.
Student-centered instruction focuses on skills and practices that
enable lifelong learning and independent problem-solving.
5. Learner-Centered Instruction
• It is NOT a matter of handing over rights and powers to learners in a unilateral way.
• It is NOT devaluing the teachers.
• It is a matter of educating learners so that they can gradually assume greater responsibility for
their own learning.
6. According to Weimer (2012), there are five characteristics of learner-
1. Learner-centered teaching engages students in the hard, messy work of learning
2. Learner-centered teaching includes explicit skill instruction.
3. Learner-centered teaching encourages students to reflect on what they are learning and how
they are learning it.
4. Learner-centered teaching motivates students by giving them some control over learning
5. Learner-centered teaching encourages collaboration.
16. What is curriculum? What is instruction?
is a structured set of learning outcomes or
tasks that educators usually call goals and
objectives (Howell and Evans, 1995)
It is the actual engagement of
learners of the planned learning
HOW IS CURRICULUM LINKED TO INSTRUCTION?
Curriculum the program Instruction the method
17. It is important that the curriculum content and objectives should match with the
instruction from where learning experiences are provided.
How to ensure that instruction addresses the curriculum?
18. There are varying forms of curriculum
a) written curriculum
b) Supported curriculum
c) Tested curriculum
d) Taught curriculum
e) learned curriculum
20. Lecture method is the most commonly used method of teaching science. It is a
teacher- controlled & information centered approach in which the teacher works as a
sole-resource in classroom instruction.
In lecture method only the teacher talks & students are passive listeners
In the demonstration method the teacher or an assigned student or group shows how a
process is done while the students become observers. The demonstrator is knowledgeable
in preparing the apparatus needed according to the steps to be followed
Role play is an educational method in which people spontaneously act out problems
of human relations and analyze the enactment with the help of other role players and
21. Case studies are in-depth investigations of a single person, group, event or
Group activity group work can be an effective method to motivate students,
encourage active learning, and develop key critical-thinking, communication, and
The group exercise is used to see your communication and problem-solving skills in
action, and to ensure that you can work effectively in a team. You need to support the
group in completing the task that has been set, whether that involves discussing a particular
issue, constructing something from bits of stationery or analyzing a complex business case
study and presenting your findings.
22. WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND
DIS-ADVANTAGES OF THE METHODS OF
WHAT ARE THE BEST TWO METHODS OF
INSTRUCTION YOU ARE GOING TO USE AND WHY?