3. NASYA KARMA
the word Nasya karma is composed of two words Nasya and karma.
Nasya : 'Nas' is substituted for Nasa when it is followed by the suffix 'Yath’.
Nasika + Yath = Nasadeshancha
Nasikaayaihitam – Nasya
नाससकाये हहतं तत्र भवोवायत ् शासनादेश: । (Vachaspatyam)
The word Nasya is derived from 'Nasa' dhatu which conveys the sense of Gati- motion (Nasa
Gatau).The literal meaning of the word Nasya is being in the nose or the things beneficial to the nose.
१. औषधं औषध ससद्धं स्नेहो वा नाससकाभयां दीयते इनत नस्यम् । (सु०थच० ४०/२१)
Administration of medicine drug for medicated oil through the nose is known as Nasya.
२. नासायां प्रिीयमानौषधं नस्यम ् । नावनं नस्त: कमेनत च संज्ञा रहते ।। (अ०सं०सू० २९)
Administration of medicine through the nasal route is known as Nasya.It is also known as Navana
as nasta karma.
Synonyms – Shirovirechana, Shirovireka, Murdha virechana, Navana, Nasta karma
7. NASYA KALA
Ritu Time of Nasya
Varsha In clear morning
Sarat + Vasanta In morning
Sisira + Hemanta Afternoon
Grishma + Varsha Evening
Doshic Predominance Time of Nasya
Kaphaja Vikara Morning
Pittaja Vikara Afternoon
Vataja Vikara Evening
8. NASYA MATRA
s.no Types of Nasya Hasva Matra Madhyam Matra Uttam Matra
1. Shaman Sneha
(8 in each nostrils)
(16 in each nostrils)
(32 in each nostrils)
2. Shodhan Sneha 4 Boond
In each nostrils
In each nostrils
In each nostrils
3. Pradhmana 250 mg 375 mg 500 mg
4. Marsha 6 boond 8 boond 10 boond
5. Partimarsha 2 boond 2 boond 2 boond
6. Kalka Nasya
4 boond 6 boond 8 boond
7. Dhoom Nasya 1-2 min 2-3 min 5 min
9. The main aim of panchakarma is to remove the Doshas through the easiest/ nearest
"उर्धवा जत्रु ववकारेषु ववशेषान्नस्यसमष्यते।
नासा ही सशरसो द्वारं तेन तद् व्याप्य हन्न्त तान्।।" (अ०ह्र०सू० २०/१)
Nasa is said to be the door of the shiras. Medicine administered through the nose ,
spreads through the shiras and helps in evacuation of Dosha, thereby pacifying the
disease. Nasya karma is the main line of treatment for disease above the clavicle
and it is the only Shodhana karma for Urdhwanga.
Along with these, Nasya karma has the following benefits.
• Can be used even in unconscious patients.
• Promotion of health as a part of Dincharya.
• Rapid drug absorption via highly vascularized mucosa.
• Avoiding the gastrointestinal tract and first -pass metabolism.
• Improved bioavailability.
• Lower side effects.
10. Nasya dravya
a vital Point consist of nerve cell function of speech broca's centre.
( A key centre in the linking phenomic sequences)
Sringataka is a connecting with four sense organs nose, ear, eye and tongue.
Beneficial in Urdhwangrogas
NASA is the doorways to the brain and it is also the doorway to consciousness.
- Acc. To Acharya
11. Mode of action of Nasya Karma
Effect at Neuro – endocrinal level
Peripheral olfactory nerves
Nerves connects with the limbic
system which control endocrinal
Limbic system and hippocampus
both have a main role in the memory
Absorption and transportation of the drugs
Administered by nasal pathway
Nasal vein, ophthalmic
vein, facial vein
No Direct Relation between Nasal Cavity and Brain. But the drug transported through 3 different pathways.
By simple diffusion across the nasal mucosal epithelium
-vascular pathway, Lymphatic pathway and olfactory pathway.
Along with olfactory nerve, the
arachnoid matter sleeve is
extended to the sub mucosal-
area of the nose, due to which the
drug can reach the CSF.
13. Sambhar Sangarha
• independent room for nasya karma with
proper ventilation for sunlight.
• It can be given in sitting/sleeping position.
• Proper Medication.
• Nasya netra which is 6 inches long.
• Well trained attendents required.
• Collection for sitting (chair), towel, cotton,
dhoom netra, oil for massage etc.
14. Atura Siddhta
• Mala-mutradi vega nivrtta
• Diet should be given.
• After sometime tooth brush.
• Adequate dhumpana.
• Patient should lie down on Nasya Saiya.
• Put oil on scalp for massage.
• Mrudu snehana on head
• Tapa sweda
15. Rogi Pariksha
• Nasya yogya/ayogya.
• Asta sathan pariksha.
• Age – Nasya should not given in persons below 7 years and
after 80 years. Partimarsha may be administered at any age
between birth to death while dhuma is indicated after 12
years of age.
• Ritu – nasya should be given in pravrt, sharad and vasanta
ritu. In grishma ritu – before noon, in sheeta ritu – noon,
varsha ritu – day should be clear.
• Blood pressure test.
• Physical examination etc.
16. Samyak yoga Ayoga
• Laghawa (lightness in body)
• Nidra (good sleep)
• Shira laghtwa (lightness in head )
• Srotas shuddhi (cleaning of channels)
• Indriya and mana Prasanna (sensorial and
• Indriya rukshata (dryness in senses)
• Aprasama roga (no relief)
• Kandu (itching)
• Anga gourawa heaviness in body)
• Nasa, netra, mukha srawa (hyper secretion)
• shirashula (headache)
• Indriya vibhrama (confusion)
• Kapha srawa (salivation)
18. • Immidiate paschat karma after nasya.
- Tapa sweda over head,shoulder and back.
- Gandusha and kavalagraha
• Kavala graha – Gandusha
• Nasyottara bojana
- Luke warm water for drinking purpose.
- Laghu ahara
- Avoid cold air.
- Do not give snigdha ahara which increases kapha and hard to digest,
they does abhishyandi.