2. Center of Excellence or Competency Center or
• A meaning of Center of Excellence is a “Place where the highest
standards are maintained”
• A Center of Excellence is a Place, Or a Group of People Or an
Organization that is know for doing a particular activity very well.
• CoE is an involvement in a new development , new ways of working
• A center of excellence (COE) brings together people from different
disciplines and provides shared facilities/resources.
3. • A center of excellence (CoE) is a team of skilled knowledge workers
whose mission is to provide the organization they work for with best
practices around a particular area of interest. The concept of creating
special-interest groups for thought leadership originated in lean
• A center of excellence (COE or CoE), also called excellence center,
is a team, a shared facility or an entity that provides leadership, best
practices, research, support or training for a focus area.
• Example; like a Hospital is a center of excellence in research and
teaching of doctors.
4. Where and how does it work:
• The center of excellence concept is often associated with new software
tools, technologies or associated business concepts such as service-
oriented architecture or business intelligence.
• In academic institutions, a center of excellence often refers to a team
with a clear focus on a particular area of research; such a center may
bring together faculty members from different disciplines and provide
5. WHY IS IT CREATED:
• CoEs are often created when there is a knowledge deficit or skills gap
within an organization. For example, a company may form a new
center of excellence to manage the adoption and integration of robotic
process automation (RPA).
• GOAL OF CENTER OF EXCELLENCE (COE):
• An important goal of a center of excellence is to eliminate inefficiency
and help move the organization to the next level of a maturity model.
7. CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE
Objectives of CoE
Centre of Excellence
Training on a focus area.
Network of institutions collaboration
Academia bring together faculty members from different disciplines and provide
9. ROLE OF CENTRES OF EXCELLENCE
• The centre of excellence concept is often associated with
• New software tools,
• Technologies or associated business
• Industries, etc
10. Important centers of Excellence
• National institute of Psychology, Islamabad,(NIPS)
• National Centre of Excellence in Geology (NCEG) Peshawar
• Centre for Applied Molecular Biology (CAMB),Lahore
• National Center for Physics, (NCP) Islamabad.
• National Center of Cyber security, Islamabad.(NCCS)
11. National institute of Psychology, Islamabad,(NIPS)
• The organization has passed through three distinct phases.
• The NIP was established in 1976 by the Ministry of Education
• In 1983, the Federal Ministry of Education decided to give NIP the
status of a Centre of Excellence in Psychology and to locate it in
Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad.
• As a Centre of Excellence in Psychology, the objectives of this Institute
have been defined in Parliament's Act No. IX of 1976. They are as
12. Goals of NIPS
• to engage in goal-oriented high-level teaching and research.
• to train research workers
• to establish MPhil, Ph.D. and other educational program in
• to promote co-operation in inter-disciplinary relationship with other
teaching and research establishments.
• to arrange conferences, seminars and refresher courses for the
development of teaching and research.
• to conduct teaching and research in psychology as assigned to it by
the Federal Government in consultation with the University.
13. National Center of Robotics and Automation,
Air University, Islamabad (NCRA) 11 Labs
• College of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering, (NUST College of E&ME)Islamabad
• UET Lahore & UCP, Lahore
• Industrial Monitoring and Automation, Information Technology University (ITU)Lahore
• MEMs Sensor Design and Testing, Air University
• Agricultural Robotics,LUMS,Lahore
• AV Dependability, FAST National University of Computer & Emerging Sciences, NUCES
• Swarm Robotics,UET Taxila
• Haptics, Human-Robotics and Condition Monitoring,NED Karachi.
• Control Automotive and Robotics, MUST, Mirpur
• Advanced Robotics and Automation,UET Peshawar
• Robot Design and Development
• Robot Maker NUST College of E&ME
14. List of universities
• National University of Science & Technology, NUST,Islamabad.
• Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore.
• Air University ,Islamabad.
• Mirpur University of Science & Technology, MUST, AJ&K.
• University of Engineering and Technology,Taxila.
• University of Central Punjab, Lahore.
• University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore
• University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar
• University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi.