15. Release Date / Price / Units
Category Devices Release Date Price Units Shipped / Estimated
Google Cardboard Available now on many mobile devices $14.99 - $119 5M (Actual)
Samsung GearVR Available now $99.99 <100K / 3M (2016)
OSVR Devices Available now (many vendors) $299.99 ???
Sulon Q Spring 2016 ??? ???
Oculus Rift March 28, 2016 $599 150K - 3M ???
HTC Vive April 5, 2016 $799 150K - 1M ???
Sony PlaystationVR Nothing official (rumored to be in April) Nothing official 1.4 - 3.5M ???
Category Devices Head Room Scale Tracked Unity 5 Integration Storefront
(Soon to be native)
In-app + App Stores
Samsung Native + Optional In-app + App Stores
OSVR Devices w/ some some support SDK Download
Sulon Q ??? ???
coming soon Native + Optional Oculus Home
HTC Vive Native + Optional Steam
25. • World Space UI
• Camera Distance for best 3D is 2 to 3 meters from action
Sound Spatializers (HRTF)
• RealSpace3D from VisiSonics
• Oculus Spatializer
• Phonon from Impulsonic
26. • VR augment or VR native?
• Our opinion – VR First!
• You must try it out to see what works
• More resources in PDF
27. Design for:
• Widest reach?
• Potential Sales?
• Studio Survival?
Build for comfort / avoid motion-sickness
28. • Frame Rate is KING!
• Dropped frames are not worth better graphics
• “Toon” graphics are accepted by the brain
• Optimize early and often
• Avoid CPU spikes on complex math or physics
• Reduce poly count and texture size
• Every optimization has a benefit, no matter how marginal!
29. • Be close to the action and any UI
• UI should fit in the players viewport
• Pausing the game should allow user to look around still
• Do sane things (i.e. fade the colors) if the user leaves tracking
• Help them find their way back! Sound may help
• Don’t rely on pure stereo parallax – add other cues
• Keep your world self-contained – no gaps in geo
30. • Made With Unity! http://madewith.unity.com
• VR forums (even one at forum.unity3d.com)
• UploadVR, RoadToVR, reddit, other sites
• Oculus Share, Steam
• Have as many people try it as possible; conferences / expos
• Join the community of VR developers. We love to share!
31. • Authoring VR in VR
• HRTF still not ubiquitous – yet!
• Apple and Google are worth watching, along with “little guys”
• Impact of AR? (Hololens, Meta, Magic Leap)
32. • Deloitte says VR in 2016 will be the year for experimentation
• Few buyers of games at first
• Enterprise adoption will start
• No time to waste! Get to it!
33. Amir Ebrahimi / Pete Moss
Download Resources at: