• DTL Evolving Role
• Digital Learning Landscape
– Digital Learning Plan
– Digital Learning Credentials
• Speak Up NC
• NCLTI Lunch & Learn
• Communication & Collaboration: Listserv
• Burning Issues from the Field/Q &A
3. Digital Teaching and Learning: Our
• Emphasis on Support and Service:
• Design and deliver professional development in support of digital teaching
• Provide support to LEA and Charter leadership teams in planning the
transition to digital teaching and learning.
• Internal and External:
• Support key agency and statewide initiatives such as Home Base, NC
Digital Competencies for Educators, the Governor’s Teacher Network, and
the NC Digital Learning Plan.
• Advocacy and Leadership:
• Innovative practices in library media and digital teaching and learning
4. NC Digital Learning Landscape
5. Session Law 2013-12
An act stating the intent of the general
assembly to transition from funding textbooks to
funding digital learning in the public schools, as
recommended by the legislative research
commission study committee on digital learning
environments in public schools.
House Bill 44
6. Session Law 2013-11
An act directing the State Board of Education to
develop and implement digital teaching and
learning standards for teachers and school
House Bill 23
7. Digital Learning Credentials: HB
• Significant critical step in formalizing digital learning
as part of the core competencies and necessary
training for all teachers
• Thoughtful development: final competencies need to
be real, actionable and provide meaningful measures
• Competencies need to be fully integrated into all
parts of teacher training and future professional
8. Where are we? Current Timeline
9. DRAFT: Digital Learning Credentials
North Carolina educators:
I. Utilize digital tools and resources to lead in their classrooms,
schools, districts, and/or beyond.
II. Create environments that support effective digital teaching and
learning for diverse populations.
III. Utilize content-appropriate digital tools and resources.
IV. Utilize digital tools and resources to facilitate learning.
V. Utilize digital tools and resources to reflect on their practice.
• North Carolina administrators create conditions in their schools,
and advocate in their districts and beyond, to support effective
digital teaching and learning.
10. Timeline: Next Steps
Apply to all
11. Speak Up NC
• WHO: K-12 students, educators, and parents
• WHAT: Educational uses of technology in
schools and at home
• WHEN: October 6th through December 19th
12. Speak Up: Why
• Information gathering on key educational topics:
educational technology, 21st century skills, and schools of
• Free online report with locally collected data – and the
national data findings to use for benchmark comparison
by February 2015
• Use data to engage your stakeholders in your strategic
planning, budgeting or decision-making processes.
• By encouraging your school or district to participate, you
are sending a strong signal that you value your
stakeholders’ opinions about K-12 education.
• Speak Up data is shared with national, state and regional
18. CONTACT INFO
Verna L. Lalbeharie
Director, Digital Teaching & Learning
NC Department of Public Instruction
6364 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6364
Hinweis der Redaktion
NC is poised to be a leader in the nation in digital learning - - the combination of these efforts are all moving things in the right direction. Ongoing process…
Mastery of Content & Competency based Learning, Anywhere, Anytime Learning, Personalized Learning, Student Centered Instruction, Robust Digital Content, Integrated Assessments, Project-Based Learning, Parent Engagement/Portal
This Bill directs the State Board of Education to develop and implement digital competency standards as part of teacher preparation and licensure by the 2017-2018 school year. This bill recognizes that digital learning is an integral part of all 21st Century teaching and works to integrate it into mainstream teacher preparation.
Definitely a draft - -we are exploring ways to be more creative and innovative in addressing and rolling out the competencies and NEED YOUR INPUT!