2. • Prepositions link nouns and pronouns to
objects in a sentence and always introduce a
prepositional phrase [preposition object]
• Thao was [at the doctor’s office.]
• [On Friday,] Duc was [in Hanoi.]
in the box.
AT IN ON
dinner 8:00, 7:30,
in a day,
1. I drink a glass of warm milk to help me sleep (at, in, on)
2. Her birthday is (at, in, on) April 21st.
3. The air is very cold (at, in, on) the winter.
4. He will go to the mall (at, in, on) three hours.
5. The interview is (at, in, on) 3:00 pm.
6. The weather is warm (at, in, on) the fall season.
7. We will be at Longhorn Restaurant (at, in, on) Sunday
(at, in, on) lunchtime.
8. Minh will travel to Danang (at, in, on) July.
AT IN ON
of day, period of
5. AT IN ON
at 55 Sol
Names of land areas:
6. AT IN ON
or points in space:
7. AT IN ON
place, event, or
A general vicinity,
coast, river, road,
small island, beach,
left, right, television,
8. 1. The party is (at, in, on)Anna’s house.
2. He has a large dog (at, in, on) his house.
3. His house (at, in, on) the coast (at, in, on) NhaTrang.
4. On our trip, we stopped (at, in, on) a cafe.
5. He likes to surf (at, in, on) the Internet.
6. She waited (at, in, on) the bus stop.
7. The cat is (at, in, on) the bed.
8. The article was (at, in, on) the newspaper.
9. There is a pen (at, in, on) my pocket.
10. There was a bug (at, in, on) the ceiling.
AT IN ON
points in space,
Names of streets,
Prepositions of place
• At, on, and in are prepositions to show time
• All prepositions link nouns and pronouns to
objects and introduce prepositional phrases
• There always are exceptions to the rules!
– We ride in a car but …. we ride on a bus, on a
plane, on a train, and/or on a subway.