1. Karen F. King firstname.lastname@example.org
2453 Helen|| Detroit, MI 48207 (313)-799-7932
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Dedicated accounting professional with over 15 years of experience in leading roles as a Senior Accountant, Staff
Accountant, and Principal Accountant — developing and implementing financial systems, strategies, processes,
and controls that significantly improve government operations. Extensive experience in cash management,
budgeting (operational/capital), financial performance monitoring, strategic planning, A/R, A/P, purchasing,
and inventory management. Responsibilities included: financial reporting, planning, forecasting, general ledger
entries, grant management, federal audit compliance, and vendor payments. Expert in establishing accounting
functions and systems, best practices, cost-reduction, automation, and long lasting business relationships.
Areas of Strength:
• Financial Statement Analysis
• Financial Dashboards
• Income Tax Collections
• Management Presentations
• Finance & Financial Audits
• Balance Sheet Reconciliation
• Market Analysis
• Staff Development
• Compliance Reviews
• Streamlining Operations
• Profitability Improvement
• Strategic Planning
City of Detroit Detroit, MI
Accountant/ Senior Accountant/ Principal Accountant 2000 – Present
• Manages and prepares monthly reports for utility users and monthly reports for income tax collections.
• Audits and approves income tax returns while assisting in the preparation of annual financial statements.
• Assists in the preparation of comprehensive annual financial reports, which includes a capital assets section.
• Responds to vendors regarding discrepancies, problems, or related matters, and resolves accounting issues.
• Prepares on-going vendor reports required for making payment decisions on a weekly, monthly, or
quarterly basis. Provides outstanding assistance in conducting and leading special studies and analyses.
Accountemps Dearborn, MI
Staff Accountant 1998 – 2000
• Experienced in researching and correcting discrepancies between account statements and vendor invoices.
• Accounting responsibilities included: updating accounting databases and confirming daily transactions.
• Prepared monthly reports for management review/analysis and ad hoc reports for compliance reviews.
• Reconciled statements and GL accounts; investigated discrepancies, and journalized correcting entries.
Lula Belle Stewart Center, Inc. Detroit, MI
Bookkeeper 1997 – 1998
• Duties included: assisting in preparation of monthly Food Billing Reports, preparing monthly financial
status reports, screening prospective tenants, collecting rent, and maintaining timely rent schedule.
• Analyzed financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital, and prepared consolidated
balance sheets, profit and loss statements, cash flow, and other reports to summarize financial position.
CareGivers Detroit, MI
Accounting Associate 1995 – 1997
• Filed monthly, quarterly, and annual tax payments; deposited cash/credit card payments; updated reports.
• Worked closely with vendors and customers to resolve A/R, A/P, purchasing, and complex billing issues.
• Tracked profit and loss performance; forecasted sales; anticipated needs; established labor cost controls.
Detroit College of Business Dearborn, MI 1992
Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting | Associate of Business Administration in Finance
Oracle 10.7, Oracle 11i, PeopleSoft, MIP Fund Accounting Program, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Access)