1. Joe Belanger
Director level position in operations where my 30 years of experience will enhance the company’s financial health
Executive experience Strategy development & deployment Production management
Data analysis & problem solving Union & non-union operations Continuous improvement
P&L and budget cost management Process development & optimization Big-box retail operations
Behr Process Santa Ana, CA
April 2008 to Present Quality Section Manager, Sale Operations Support
After building a sustained CI infrastructure, I was promoted to Section Manager in support ofPRO and DIY paint sales operations
specifically to enhance gallon growth through the Home Depot and improve customer satisfaction (net promoter scores)in a retail
environment. This involves working with ~400 Behr field reps and executive leadership at Behr & The Home Depot to identify &
reduce non-value added bay facing time and converting that to effective customer engagement capacity, allowing reps to conduct
more tactical & behavioral skills known to enhance consumer purchasing decisions. This role requires a level of strategic
creativity melded with qualitative and quantitative analysis, data mining of consumer satisfaction studies and linking known
consumer satisfaction drivers to the role of a Behr REP and managing large projects linked to strategic goals.
February 2001 to April 2008 Corporate Continuous Improvement Manager
Managing a staff of five, this position focused on building a foundation of continuous improvement from scratch across 18
facilities nation-wide and in Canada to cut costs & streamline operations based on strategic initiatives and voice of the customer
(VOC). Key strategic responsibilities included leveraging kaizen & DMAIC methodology and linking activity to gaps in the value
stream, P&L enhancement and improving VOC. Core tactical responsibilities included workshop facilitation, team building &
change management, qualitative & quantitative analysis,problem solving and broad project management & oversight.My efforts
spanned across Manufacturing,Distribution, Sales, R&D, Accounting and People Services (HR).
- Supported a $35M 18-month “new plant build” offset in a 13% annual growth market
a. Reduced fill line changeovers by 35 minutes per batch over eight plants, or 750K gallons of added annual capacity
b. Improved filling line uptimeby 100 minutes per batch, adding 20M gallons of annual capacity
c. Improved assembly line throughput from 18 to 40 kits per/min with two fewer workers by changing layout and labor roles.
- Changed warehouse layout to reduce fork lift travel by 50%; the labor conversion netted 175 additional truck builds per
month with no added labor and a reduction of two seasonaltemp employees.
- Reduced workman’s comp claims by $300K by engaging ergonomic experts & retraining on new, updated SOP
- Successfully led Accounts Payable 2%-net 10 “lost invoices” project, recapturing $200k in early payment discounts
- Managed an on-going Behr/Home Depot service rep (400 field reps) customer facing initiative from 2002 to 2014, converting
16,800 annual maintenance hours to customer facing activities that influence gallon growth and improve net promoter scores.
a. Documented the storecall process to identify common waste & variance; developed lean SOP that netted thousands of hours in customer
facing pick up annually
b. Led thedevelopment & launch of a territory growth planning systemdesigned as a bottomup budget & forecasting tool, allowing 400
field reps to craft their own 5-storestrategy that rolled up to a master budget.
c. Led thedesign, implementation and management of an in-store (TheHome Depot) mystery shopper programintended to enhance net
promoter scores, reduce customer defection and yield sustainable unit growth.
- Integral role in developing & supporting Behr’s pro paint business
a. Designed market entry evaluation tool inclusive of cost, risk, product and scalability factors that helped craft thebusiness process for a
now $450M pro business.
b. Conducted The Home Depot (THD) pro-painter service-gap analysis that influenced THD to introduce a paint will call systemwhich
65% of professional painters consider a service differentiator.
c. Managed theimplementation of Salesforce.com CRM software, establishing business rules related to lead & account management, tiered
customer segments, metrics, triggers and simplified UI for a now $450M pro business model.
6511 Glen Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
2. 1/86 – 2/2001: Monogram Aerospace Fasteners Commerce, CA
Initially in charge of the Technical Sales department reporting to the V.P. of Sales and Marketing, my job focused on several core
Sales functions ranging from technical support & product management to forecasting and marketing responsibilities. In July of
1996, I was promoted to Continuous Improvement Manager reporting to the president of Monogram. My duties consisted
primarily of identifying cost reduction & productivity opportunities throughout the value stream, facilitating kaizen events,project
management, training & mentoring employees and team building. The role consisted ofanalyzing and tracking operational
performance linked to the P&L to ensure all activities were creating financial value and a culture of lean. I was also responsible for
assembly production and a unionized staff.
- Managed assembly department of 50 workers, taking the department from 50% on-time delivery to 80% in two years.
- Implemented single piece flow U-shaped assembly tables and job function changes that reduced scrap by 12 percent
($300,000 annual savings), and greatly improved lot traceability, pipelining capabilities and right the first time.
- Developed production-loading model that improved lead-time accuracy from 68% to 80% within 12 months.
- Inventor of robotic fastener design that yielded orders worth more than $20,000,000.
- Reduced manufacturing WIP by 30% using pull scheduling methodology, improving gross margins by 8% ($1.7M) annually.
- Improved throughput by 100 minutes/batch (~3k annualbatches)by training & transitioning quality checks to machine
operators and enhancing heat treatment oven utilization by 34%.
- Developed & managed a Technical Sales department that bridged sales,manufacturing & engineering into a single customer
support function,providing one-point service for buyers,engineers, mechanics and designers.
- Designed & managed company’s first commercial & military forecasting model used to establish budgets & financial goals.
- Conducted global technical training workshops; i.e. Hindustan Aeronautics in India yielded $5M in new sales.
- Managed government & foreign sales contracts and a sales department of eight, supporting day-to-day operations ofsales,
including order processing,shipping, credit approvals, quotes,pricing, and production scheduling .
- Fastener line Product Manager, responsible for pricing, P&L health, lead times, problem solving and customer retention.
- Facilitated more than 75 cross-functional workshops
11/83 - 12/85 MBC Applied Environmental Sciences Costa Mesa, CA
MBC is a marine-science consulting firm who specializes in field research and data collection & analysis as it relates to
the marine environment. As a Class III Technician reporting to the Senior Field Scientist, my responsibilities entailed
maintaining and repairing all field sampling equipment, calibration of electronic water analyzers, power plant
impingements, chemical & biological laboratory work, and diverse field research operations including scientific diving
responsibilities and leading field studies.
- Developed & managed an inventory repair program, saving thousands ofdollars annually in equipment repurchases.
- Collected & analyzed physical & biological scientific data used to set policy for companies like Edison, Fish &
Game and the US Government.
- Primary operator of sophisticated electronic hydro-chemical analyzers and sampling equipment.
- Certified inspectorof compressed air cylinders; improved equipment readiness & reduced external inspection costs
- Field team lead with worker safety as my top priority. Zero lost time in a high risk environment.
- Member of the Scientific Diving Team, diving instructor
MBA California State University, Dominguez Hills
Bachelor of Science, Business & Management University of Redlands
Certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt American Society of Quality (ASQ)
Certificate, Operations Management & Leadership Michigan State University (MLP)
Project Management Training UC Irvine
References available upon request