Gerald A. Fegler
firstname.lastname@example.org 311 Oak Street, #526
415.794.1622 cell Oakland, CA 94607
Seasoned investment professional with over 25 years of experience in asset management. Highly skilled
in client portfolio management, asset allocation and business development.
Communicated investment firms’ expertise to a wide spectrum of clients and prospects in representing
each team’s process, philosophy, strategy and performance to constituents as follows:
• Institutional investors, CFO’s, Treasurers, Controllers
• Mutual Fund boards, Institutional Research teams, Pension Plan boards
• Advisors, internal partners, clients, and prospects
Represented firms and investment teams in providing the following investment products:
• U.S. Equities (Large Cap, Mid Cap, & Small Cap)
• International Equities (Developed and Emerging)
• Taxable Fixed Income (U.S. and International)
• Municipal Fixed Income
• Real Estate
• Multi Asset Portfolios
Wrote articles in support of the firm’s investment perspective on:
• Quarterly Economic Overview for Advisors
• Quarterly newsletter for Registered Investment Advisors
• Quarterly Investment Reviews with clients
• Scripts for weekly investment calls
Developed and presented Investment Reviews, Economic Overview, Investment Process to audiences
from 1 to over 100 for:
• Institutional Research teams
• CFO’s, Treasurer’s, Controllers
• Mutual Fund boards
• Prospects and clients
• Internal partners
Experienced across a broad range of distribution channels inclusive of:
• Mutual Fund boards
• Corporations and business owners
• Research teams and Mutual Fund wholesalers
• High Net Worth clients and Private Bankers
Contango Capital Advisors, San Francisco, CA
Vice President, Senior Wealth Advisor 2012 to Present
Responsible for building relationships with institutional clients, business owners and High Net Worth
individuals throughout the California Bank & Trust’s footprint in Northern California. Provide innovative
solutions to assist clients to meet their financial goals, including investment management, trust and estate
planning, risk management, business succession planning, and insurance. Frequent speaker at events on
topics such as economic and capital markets outlook, retirement planning, estate planning, and long term
- Partnered with bank leadership to coach and train staff in identifying opportunities and improving
the quality of referrals.
- Built from the ground up a portfolio of $300,000 annualized revenue with a $30,000,000 under
management in 3 years.
- Generated $75,000 in revenue from speaking engagements.
HighMark Capital Management, San Francisco, CA
Vice President, Client Development 2009 to 2012
Responsible for strategic initiatives to raise assets in multi-asset wealth management portfolios.
Developed strategy for communicating asset allocation, portfolio construction, and security selection to
clients. Managed relationships and communications with internal partners, new prospects, and existing
clients. Represented portfolio managers during the sales process articulating the firm’s investment
process and philosophy. Served on the leadership team to develop strategy for building internal
partnerships and expand product offerings. Served on the manager research committee with responsibility
for external investment manager selection.
- Produced sales presentation series for portfolio managers and distribution partners to enhance
communication opportunities with prospects and clients.
- Enhanced communication strategy to leverage private bank’s distribution channels.
- Established a portfolio management process allowing clients to invest according to social values in
environmental, social, or governance strategy.
- Developed and implemented new products for distribution across the Union Bank footprint.
- Developed, implemented, and managed weekly Private Banking call with key investment
professionals throughout the firm. Included topic development, communications coaching, and
Wells Fargo Advantage Funds, San Francisco, CA
Vice President, Institutional Sales 2007 to 2009
Positioned and marketed Mutual Funds and Separately Managed Account products to national broker/
dealer research teams. Responsible for gaining positions within discretionary model portfolios and
mutual fund recommended lists. Developed competitive analysis for each broker/dealer to identify
opportunities for additional distribution. Directed distribution strategy for broker/dealers. Provided
wholesalers with fundamental understanding of the competitive landscape for products on broker/dealer
platforms. Developed strategic and tactical campaigns to gain market shares within broker/dealers. Lead
author of the Wells Fargo Advantage Fund RIA newsletter providing investment insights and sales ideas.
- Leveraged an existing relationship in a broker/dealer Separately Managed Account platform to win
a $100M position in a Mutual Fund Model Portfolio with an estimated $75M in flows annually.
- Won a $100M mutual fund mandate on a trust company’s discretionary model portfolio with an
estimated $30M in flows annually.
- Won a Separately Managed Account mandate on a broker/dealer’s recommended list through
Callan & Associates.
- Won two Mutual Fund mandates with a broker/dealer due diligence team in a new Advisory
- Awarded two Mutual Fund Model Portfolio positions through Wilshire Associates.
- Trained broker/dealer sales desk on Separately Managed Account products; resulted in $125M
new sales within the year.
AssetMark Investment Services, Pleasant Hill, CA
Director of Investment Strategies 2005 to 2007
Managed investment product solutions within an $8B third-party asset management platform for
independent investment advisors with strategic partners, such as Wilshire Associates, Goldman Sachs,
Litman Gregory, and UBS. Served as Chief Investment Officer for the $3.5B AssetMark Funds.
Managed a team to evaluate and analyze client portfolios in providing recommendations to improve
security selection and asset allocation. Directed the collection and review of investment data,
commentary and research to package for distribution. Managed and authored communication and training
plans on all economic, capital markets and investment facets.
- Developed and formalized the search criteria for new managers; resulted in an efficient and well
documented process in six asset class searches: Small Cap Growth, Small Cap Value, Large Cap
Growth, Large Cap Value, Intermediate Tax-Exempt Fixed Income, and International Equity.
- Partnered with Wilshire Associates to implement a risk-based portfolio construction process for
the AssetMark Funds; allowed for less volatility in performance.
- Implemented a formal quarterly review of each sub-advisor and made recommendations to the
AssetMark Funds Board of Trustees.
- Delivered highly effective presentations to the AssetMark Funds Board of Trustees for the
approval of new Sub-Advisors and to AssetMark’s advisors on the firm’s investment capabilities.
- Presented bi-monthly at AssetMark’s Mastery Program the firm’s Manager Selection process and
the Asset Allocation process.
Wells Capital Management, San Francisco, CA
Principal, Relationship Manager 1997 to 2004
Responsible for $2.3B in Fixed Income Assets with $2.5M in annual revenue; established investment
policy with corporate clients, independent consultants, and high net worth individuals; conducted
quarterly formal portfolio performance presentations to clients; continuously monitored investment policy
and implement strategy of client accounts with portfolio managers, partnered with business development
and internal and external associates in closing new business, provided guidance to business development
and marketing staff in crafting RFP responses.
- Exceeded new revenue goal each year by establishing solid relationships with clients for return
business and providing business development support to internal and external partners for new
- Consistently prepared and delivered highly effective presentations to review performance,
recommend new investment strategies, and review their investment policy with clients.
- Developed the department’s training tool for peers to assist clients in using the portfolio
Wells Fargo Bank, San Francisco, CA
Marketing Manager – Private Client Services 1995 to 1997
Developed & implemented marketing communications collateral for investment products; managed all
phases of marketing communications campaigns; partnered with product managers in developing
marketing plans and projects; provided expert knowledge to product groups in the area of competitive
- Developed a consistent theme and message of product brochures distributed by Private Client
- Provided an efficiency tool by developing a database of compliance-approved letters used by
financial consultants to communicate with clients.
Associate Marketing Manager – Private Client Services 1994 to 1995
Developed market segmentation analysis and channel strategy for investment products; developed
communications and logistics for seminars, direct mail, & sales promotions; developed and coordinated
lead tracking and analysis for promotional campaigns.
- Created a process for tracking promotional campaigns and the resultant sales activities.
- Developed a new process to streamline the distribution of monthly fixed income offering sheet to
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska
Bachelors of Science in Business Administration Majored in Accounting & Finance
Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California
Masters of Business Administration
Series 7, 63,65 Licenses
California Life Insurance License #0179738
Certified Financial Planner Candidate 2015