1. Vastu Tips For Harmony
Vaastu Shastra is the ancient Indian science of architecture and interior design.
The principles of Vastu are followed in such a way that it makes the surrounding
in harmony with everything around us and endorse wisdom and happiness. We
feel much better when our environment is in tune with nature but as soon as the
equilibrium imbalances, it practically affects in an adverse way. Thus Vastu is all
about balancing the energies around environment; we certainly get a new
harmonious place which reflects in gaining good health, wealth and peace.
Usually people face a lot of problems due to major Vastu and Feng Shui defects.
To keep the balance of energies in home and environment for peace and harmony
Vaastu Shastra recommends some useful tips below:
1. There should be more open land in the North and East, than in the South
2. All rain water should flow from South to North and West to East only. If
house is on a slope then the Southwest should be the highest and the
Northeast the lowest.
3. The house should face in the North or East.
4. South and West fence walls should be higher and thicker than the North
and East walls.
5. All structures above the ground should face East or North.
6. Drainage and plumbing should be in the North and East.
7. Overhead water tanks should be in the Southwest. While under-water tank
in Northeast. If Overhead tank is in the Northeast, then a structure taller
than the tank must be constructed in the Southwest. Also, the base of the
tank should be elevated on four pillars – it should not touch the house.
8. Any kind of pit (for a swimming pool, plumbing etc.) should be dug in the
North, East and Northeast.(but never in northeast corner).
9. The porch should not touch the North or East fence/wall .
10.All four sides of the house must be open (have doors or windows). If the
house is small or in a crowded neighbourhood at least 2 opposite sides
must be open. Having just 1 open side lets in negative energies.
11.Place the Mandir in the Northeast of the house. Make sure you always face
east while praying. Any place of worship or idol, the bible or any holy
objects should be in the Northeast. All photos and idols should face East or
2. 12.Kitchen should be ideally placed in the Southeast and second option is in
Northwest. The cooking platform should be in the East. Kitchen in North or
Northeast may bring health and financial problems ( if so then cooking of
non-veg food should be avoided).
13.Bedrooms should be in the South .West and Southwest. The headboard of
the bed must never be in the North. It can be either in the South or the
14.Bread winning owner or head of house should be given Southwest corner
to keep the relationship of parents and children happy.
15.Bathrooms and toilets should be made in West or South. They bring
financial, health and educational problems if made in North and North east.
16. Dining rooms are best situated in the West.
17.Restrooms go in the Southeast or Northwest directions.
18.Out houses or changing rooms, shower stalls should not touch the North
and East fences/wall.
19. No cellar is to be constructed in residential properties. However, if one
must have a cellar or basement it should be in the Northeast corner.
20.Staircases can be in the South, West or Southwest directions. Wooden
staircases however can be in the North and East directions also. Stairs must
always be clockwise and should go from North to South or East to West.
21.Any kind of animal shelter or a house for your pets should be in the
Northwest away from the North fencing.
22.Total number of doors and windows should be even on each level but
never end in a 0 like in 10, 20 , 30 etc.
23.Doors of all rooms should face East.
24.Doors should open inside a room and not outwards.
25.Doors of the restrooms and kitchen must however, open outwards and not
26.The WC or commode should be in the N-S only and never in the W-E
27.Closets and wardrobes, shelves and storage spaces should all be in the
South and West directions in all rooms.
28.Mirrors should never be on the South and West walls of any room if
29.Bed rooms must always have beds with 4 legs. Beds that rest on the floor
(like box springs or waterbeds) create negative energies.
30.Large trees should not be grown in North or East. They should be in the
South or West.
31.Keep your house clutter free and tint your place with cheerful light colour.
3. 32.Keep some source of water in Northeast while flowing is better than
stagnant water in this corner.
33. Don’t buy a property whose door faces South or Southwest as it marks the
entry of devil and brings bad luck and misfortunes as the entrance of our
house plays a vital role in bringing good energy to our house Fix panch
mukhi Hanumanji outside the door if your house has already one.
34. Business deals should be transacted while facing Northeast. One must also
read in this direction.
35.Burn Camphor in house and spread its fume all over the place to negate the