2. Spanish Explorers
• Came to North and South America before
the English. Took large parts of land
including: The Caribbean, Mexico, Florida
& South America.
Conquest of the Aztecs
4. English Explorers
• England was the last to settle in North
• The first Permanent Settlement was
Jamestown in 1607. Important DATE!
“He that does not
work, Shall not
• 2nd English Colony
• Founded for religious reasons
• Landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts
• Mayflower Compact – laws set
before leaving the ship.
• Landed in Massachusetts also, eventually
they merge with Pilgrims.
• Wanted to practice a “pure” form of
• The Puritans came as entire families to
the new world.
7. William Penn &
• Founded Pennsylvania for the
• Quakers were Protestant
(form of religion) that opposed war.
• Penn did not want to fight the Indians – he
worked out peaceful purchases.
• Catholics started the colony of Maryland.
• This was a haven (safe place) that was
created for those that practiced
Founded the colony
9. William Blackstone
• During the American Revolution he was
an Enlightenment Writer.
• Blackstone defined the rights of individuals
in English law, as well as property rights
that could NOT be violated – not even by
10. Thomas Hooker
• Puritan leader.
• Founded the colony of
• Wrote the government plan
called Fundamental Orders of
• Early form of representative
his o nectic
Has in Con
11. John Locke
• During the American
Revolution he was an
• Locke said that government
was a “Social Contract” and that the job of
government was to protect individual
freedom and property.
12. Charles de Montesquieu
• French writer and
• He is famous for his articulation
of the theory of
separation of powers,
which is used in the writing
of the United States Constitution
13. Abigail Adams
• Wife of John Adams
• Very educated and gave
advice to John.
• Wrote letters during Continental Congress
and reminded John to “remember the
ladies” while fighting for American
• First Lady during John Adams Presidency.
14. John Adams (1776-1783)
• Lawyer in Boston
• Attorney for Soldier from
• Continental Congress Member
• Signed Declaration of Independence
15. Samuel Adams
• Leader of the Sons of Liberty
• Assisted in Boston Tea Party
• Patriot that argued “No Taxation
• Cousin to John Adams
• Continental Congress member
• Signed the Declaration of
17. Crispus Attucks
• Man of mixed African American
& Native American decent.
• 1st colonist killed at
• American Revolution hero
• African American teacher
• First African American elected to office
• Fought in the battle of Saratoga
• Saratoga was turning point of the
19. Benjamin Franklin
• Founding Father of America
• Assisted with Declaration
• Assisted with Constitution
• Oldest delegate at the Constitutional
• Inventor, Farmer, Writer
20. Bernardo Galvez
• American Revolution
• Helped the American’s fight for
• Fought against England in American
• Led Spanish against the
British in the American
• Kept the British from
taking the Mississippi River.
31. John Paul Jones
• American Revolution
• John Paul Jones was a
naval commander and
privateer, helping found
the United States navy
32. Alexander Hamilton
• Member of George Washington’s 1 st
• Secretary Of Treasury
• Hamilton’s Financial Plan
– Repay Debt
– Create National Bank
– Whiskey Tax
– Protective Tariff
33. George Washington
• First President of the United States of
• Women Are Just Mad, Men Are Just Lazy
34. George Mason
• A delegate at Constitutional Convention
• A member of the Virginia House of Burgesses.
• Main author for the Bill of Rights
35. Patrick Henry
• Attended Constitutional Convention and
was an Anti-Federalist.
• At the Convention he pushed for the
addition of the Bill of Rights to protect
• Believed that the Constitution was perfect
the way it was.
• Federalist believed a stronger government
was needed and that the principals of
federalism and separation of powers was
sufficient safeguards to protect individual
• After the Constitution was
completed, the country
debated on whether to ratify the
Constitution or not.
• Anti-Federalist would not
approve because they felt that Individual
Rights of citizens were not protected.
• Anti-Federalists insisted on the
Bill of Rights being added before
ratifying the Constitution (approving it).
38. George Washington
• President of the United States
• Farewell Address
– Do not get involved in Foreign Affairs
– Stay away from political parties – don’t fight.