1. ELON MUSK AND THE IDEA OF HYPERLOOP
• Elon Reeve Musk (born in June 28, 1971) is a South African-born business
magnate, investor, engineer and inventor.
• He is the founder, CEO, and CTO of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product
architect of Tesla Inc.; co-founder and chairman of SolarCity; co-chairman
of OpenAI; co-founder of Zip2; and founder of X.com, which merged
with Confinity and took the name PayPal.
• Musk has stated that the goals of SolarCity, Tesla, and SpaceX revolve around his
vision to change the world and humanity. His goals include reducing global
warming through sustainable energy production and consumption, and reducing
the "risk of human extinction" by "making life multiplanetary“ by setting up a
human colony on Mars.
• He has also envisioned a high-speed transportation system known as
2. WHAT IS HYPERLOOP?
• The Hyperloop is a concept proposed by billionaire inventor Elon Musk,
CEO the aerospace firm SpaceX. It is a reaction to the California High-
speed Rail system currently under development, a bullet train system that
Musk feels is lackluster, as it will be one of the most expensive and slow-
moving in the world.
• Musk’s Hyperloop consists of two massive tubes stretching between San
Francisco and Los Angeles. Pods carrying passengers would travel through the
tubes at speeds topping out over 700 mph. Imagine the pneumatic tubes
people in The Jetsons use to move around buildings, but on a much bigger
scale. For propulsion, magnetic accelerators will be planted along the length of
the tube, propelling the pods forward. The tubes would house a low pressure
environment, surrounding the pod with a cushion of air that permits the pod to
move safely at such high speeds, like a puck gliding over an air hockey table.
• Given the tight quarters in the tube, pressure build up in front of the pod could be a
problem. The tube needs a system to keep air from building up in this way. Musk’s
design recommends an air compressor on the front of the pod that will move air
from the front to the tail, keeping it aloft and preventing pressure building up due to
air displacement. A one way trip on the Hyperloop is projected to take about 35
minutes (for comparison, traveling the same distance by car takes roughly six
• Due to high traffic, US government proposed a high speed train project
etween San Francisco to LA called ; California High Speed Rail (68.4 bil)
• the average speed is 164 mph and takes approx 3 hrs
• hyperloop-7.8 bil USD with 35 mins
• in past, Robert Goddard proposed using vacuum.
• Elon musk,using low pressure with the use of electromagnetic suspension.
4. KANTROWITZ LIMIT
• Air between inside of tube and outside of the loop.
• analogy of a syringe will describe the meaning of this limit.
• the use of electric compressor fan mounted on the nose of the pod
8. • Designed Capsule / Pods ( Partial Vacuum)
• Float on 0.5 mm to 1.3 mm
• Linear Induction Motors
• Reduce air resistance & No rolling resistance
• Resolve air pressure
• Alpha - Level Concept > 1220km/h maintain
• No Sonic Boom
10. 1. ELECTROMAGNETIC MOTOR
• Capsules are propelled by air pressure like in vacuum tubes but by
• Instead of using a permanent magnet motor, the system would use a
linear induction motor. Magnets inside the tubes act as the stator, or
the part in a traditional electric motor that do not move. Rotors, the
moving part, would be contained inside capsule.
11. 2. LOW AIR PRESSURE
• When the capsules travels in high speed, thus it creating a cushion of
air that will slow down the moving.
• A compressor fan was featured in front of the capsules to absorb the
air and push it back for additional propulsion and carry the capsule
12. 3. FRICTION
• In order to reduce friction of the capsules, Hyperloop installed the air
bearing under the capsule.
• The air from the compressed air will flow down towards the air bearing
and will achieved it top speed of 480kmH.
13. 4. STABLE
• The track design is self immune to an earthquake of any disaster.
• The pillars under it will sway itself in case of ground moving that may
occur danger to the hyperloop.
14. 5. POWERED BY SOLAR ENERGY
• The solar panel supply power to the electric motor and gain energy for
an automated movement without driver.