IFTI A. BAQAI
Irvine, CA 92620 Phone (714) 838 - 8250 Ifti.A.Baqai@Gmail.com
Senior Technical Leader with demonstrated experience in a variety of computer peripheral related manufacturing
companies. Areas of expertise include ASIC/product design and development, testing, engineering services, quality,
and supplier/vendor management. Demonstrated success building and leading teams to accomplish ambitious
SENIOR TECHNICAL LEADER
♦ Development – managed development of over 60 different ICs and over 25 NAS/DAS products
♦ Leadership – significant experience managing other professionals and support staff
♦ Emerging Technologies – designed and developed new technologies such as Perpendicular Recording,
USB3.0 ASICs, and products based on multiple Intel processor families
♦ Operational Improvement – reduced operating costs by identifying process improvements and re-
♦ Training and Development – identified and developed subordinates to take on greater responsibility and
further their careers
♦ Strategy Development – excelled in creating and implementing strategic plans that leverage organizational
♦ Team Building – demonstrated success starting with recruitment, partnering with co-workers, business
partners and vendors to accomplish ambitious organizational goals
♦ Systems-oriented – able to identify operational and workflow improvements that enhance efficiency and
♦ Project Management – demonstrated success planning and managing large-scale projects, bringing them on
time and within budget.
WESTERN DIGITAL CORPORATION Irvine, CA 1997 - Present
Director Electrical Engineering, Content Solutions (Branded Products) 2009-Present
• Leading design teams to develop various NAS and DAS products
• Extensive interface with various key suppliers, e.g., Intel, Marvell, TI etc.
• Internal validation of supplier silicon including feature validation and tuning
• Managed product testing, agency regulatory approvals and CM interface for PCB/PCBA
• Directly involved with reliability modeling and HALT of NAS products
• Intense focus on BOM cost, testability, schedule and overall development process
Senior Director Electronics Design & Development (Recording Sub-systems) 1997-2008
Managed all aspects of:
• Leading teams of up to 40 people to support both tactical and strategic Channel, Preamp and Interconnect
needs of various products from inception to EOL
IFTI A. BAQAI Page Two
• Selection and qualification of suppliers for engagement
• Development of stand-alone Channels as well as Channel macros for inclusion into SoC solutions
• Development of Preamps for all WD product swim lanes and Configurations
• Integration of Channel / Preamp solutions in WD’s products including management of silicon turns and / or
issue resolution through FW workarounds
• Recruitment of engineering and managerial staff to meet growing needs of the corporation
MICROPOLIS CORPORATION Chatsworth, CA 1991 - 1997
Program Manager II
• Key responsibilities included developing project schedule, budget, and manpower requirements as well as
ensuring inter-departmental resource allocation.
• Primary interface for all aspects of product development by disseminating information to relevant people.
• Led project teams in development of innovative high capacity disk drives. Accomplishments included leading
project teams through successful development and launch of 3.6GB (1936), 9.1GB (Scorpio) and 2.1GB
(Aries2) drive products.
• Managed interface with the offshore manufacturing facilities during and after product transfer. Additional
contribution included acting as in-house Account Champion for one Key OEM account.
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL DEVICES Los Angeles, CA 1989 - 1991
Senior Project Engineer
• Led project teams in design and development of low and high end Tape Backup Systems.
• Major responsibilities included project scheduling, budgeting, technical specifications and interfacing with
other departments within the company.
• Architected and designed TS-1000 Controller (AMD 29K, NCR 53C700) targeted as the engine behind A.I.’s
family of UNIDRIVE family of Tape Backup Products.
University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Ph.D. Course work completed Majoring in Computer System Architecture
M.S. in Engineering Majoring in Computer Science
Research Assistant - Assisted in research related to Computer Systems Architecture with special emphasis on
Fault Tolerant Computing methodology
Pakistan Univ. of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan
B.S. in Electronics & Communication
Distinctions in Electronic Design and Circuit Analysis
“Reliability Aspects of ILLIAC IV Computer.” Presented at the International Conference on Parallel Processing,
IFTI A. BAQAI Page Two
U.S. Patent Number 6995933 Issued on February 7, 2006. “Disk Drive for Optimizing Write Current Settings Relative
to Drive Operating Characteristics and Ambient Temperature Readings”