2. BlinkLane in short
• BlinkLane is an independent consulting organization which
focuses entirely on the organization and management of IT.
• BlinkLane is the only consultancy organization to focus on
improving !capabilitiesquot; in an IT value chain as the basis for
enhancing business performance.
• BlinkLane services focus on
• Organizing IT Excellence
• Enabling Strategic Sourcing
• Aligning IT Strategy
3. Our Vision ‘Capability drives Performance’
• The key to adding business value with IT is in the capabilities
of the IT organization (or better; of the IT Value Chain).
IT STRATEGY IT CAPABILITIES IT PERFORMANCE
• We define capabilities as the complete set of knowledge, skills,
processes, attitude and culture of individuals and
organizations, that can be utilized to influence the performance
of an organization.
Our Strategic Sourcing Practice
5. 5 Sourcing a phased approach
BlinkLane helps it’s
clients to establish SCOPING
effective IT sourcing
BlinkLane helps its clients
to improve the organization’s SOURCING
own sourcing capabilities,
enhancing the success of
current and future outsoucing
6. 6 Strategy & Scoping (1)
To deﬁne and agree upon drivers (goals) for sourcing-decisions and feasible/preferred scenarioquot;s for sourcing relationships
that add maximal value.
• Deﬁne sourcing drivers, with reference to the business strategy, the IT organization's level of ambition, the existing
IT capabilities, market developments and market trends.
• Deﬁne and analyze sourcing scenarioquot;s, against the sourcing drivers. These scenarioquot;s include the sourcing scope
and the choices for in-house, outsourcing, offshoring, etc.
• Deﬁne high level deﬁnition of the sourcing management and governance.
• Analyze feasibility of scenarioquot;s; including alignment with the sourcing drivers, the business case and risk analysis.
• Select preferred sourcing scenario(s), and prepare decision-making for stakeholders and inform OR.
• Deﬁne sourcing approach for establishing future sourcing relations.
• Clear and agreed sourcing drivers.
• Deﬁnition of preferred sourcing scenario, including deﬁnition of internal sourcing management.
• Business Case and Risk Analysis.
• Decision for (out)sourcing (parts) of IT services.
• (Out)sourcing approach and communication plan.
7. Strategy & Scoping (2)
• Because the phase Strategy & Scoping is the essential first step for making
potential (out)sourcing a success, we have added more information on our
approach for this phase below:
STRATEGY & SCOPING
Why ? What ? How ?
Determine strategic drivers
Test feasibility and Decision
and select sourcing
plan sourcing approach making
Sourcing Drivers Optional: Request for Quotation Decision making
- Drivers - RFQ document document
- Pre requisites and condtions - Quotes by suppliers
- Bid feasibiity from the market Decision making
Sourcing Scenario's by stakeholders
Sourcing Scope Optional: Benchmark
- Sourcing scenario's/ - Detailled banchmark prices Informing the OR
- ICT Objects Business Case
- ICT Activities - Business case
- Priorities - Assumptions
Vendor Policy Risk Analysis
- Type of Vendor - Risks and mitigations
- Number of Vendors
Sourcing Management - Fases and timing
- Basic Design - Projectteam
- Capability Gap - Dependencies
8. 8 Selection
Select supplier(s) that offers a solution that optimally ﬁts the drivers for outsourcing.
• Deﬁne detailed scope of lots that are being outsourced, including deﬁnition of IT objects, IT processes, IT service
requirements, personnel aspects, ﬁnancial requirements, compliance requirements and legal requirements.
• Detail future internal sourcing management roles, responsibilities and processes.
• Deﬁne draft outsourcing contract as a means to further concretise- and communicate requirements, and accelerate
up process towards contracting.
• Select supplier(s) using a structured process of for example RFI, RFP or benchmarked bidding process.
• Perform mutual due dilligence process with one or more suppliers.
• Update Business Case and Risk Analysis.
• Detailed scope for outsourcing.
• Blueprint of future internal sourcing management; roles, responsibilities and processes.
• Draft outsourcing contract.
• Scoring results for different proposals from suppliers.
• Due Dilligence results.
• Selected preferred supplier(s) to continue with, in the contracting phase.
9. 9 Contracting
Optimally contract supplier(s) for the to be outsourced IT services.
• Deﬁnition of contracting strategy.
• Prepare negotiation and contracting.
• Negotiate contract and underlying agreements for transfer of assets, transfer of personnel, pricing, service level
agreements, governance guidelines, etc.
• Achieve agreement with OR and Unions.
• Update Business Case and Risk Analysis.
• Deﬁne transfer plan.
• Outsourcing contract and underlying agreement.
• Contracted supplier(s).
• Transfer plan.
• Social protocol for harmonization of terms of employment.
• Plan for recruiting (new) people for the sourcing management !organizationquot;.
10. 10 Transfer
Transfer the IT services, assets and personnel to the supplier and ensure the correct operation of the sourcing relationship
across the IT Value Chain.
• Plan transfer of IT services, assets and personnel to the supplier.
• Staff and train the internal sourcing management (roles, responsibilities and processes).
• Simulate and train cooperation across the IT value chain (user organization, internal IT and sourcing management,
• Execute transfer.
• Evaluate transfer and initial operation.
• Trained internal personnel sourcing management.
• Transferred IT services, IT Assets and personnel.
• Supplier is responsible for delivery.
11. 11 Develop Sourcing Capabilities
Develop the organizationquot;s own sourcing capabilities in line with the strategic objective of the organizations. This to ensure
the success of current and future outsoucing relationships.
• Align/deﬁne the ambition of the organization in terms of needed capabilities to ensure success with (out)sourcing.
• Align/deﬁne performance indicators that measure success of (out)sourcing and the basis for improving the
organizationquot;s sourcing capabilties.
• Scan/assess current sourcing capabilities.
• Plan improvements of the organizationquot;s sourcing capabilities.
• Interactively develop sourcing capabiities (during the phases selection, contracting and transfer).
• Monitor sourcing performance and sourcing capabilities.
• Insight into the capability gap (current versus needed).
• Improved internal organizationquot;s capabilities.
SCAN DEVELOP MONITOR
12. 12 Monitor
To track the performance of the sourcing relationship throughout the term of the outsourcing.
• Monitor performance of IT delivery across the value chain.
• Monitor supplier performance using audits and benchmarks.
• Help improve performance of outsourcing relationship and performance across the IT value chain.
• Insight and improvement of the performance of the supplier.
• Insight and improvement of the performance of the entire IT value chain.
14. 14 Highlights of our approach
• A phased approach for outsourcing.
• Fact based, result-oriented, with consideration and focus on the organizationquot;s
• Using templates and best-practices for every phase.
• In close cooperation with the client.
• BlinkLane effort is always a team effort.
• We add specialists to the project team for speciﬁc aspects during the sourcing
process, when needed.
15. BlinkLane Consulting
Adam Smith Building
Thomas R. Malthusstraat 1-3
1066 JR Amsterdam
T: +31 20 408 08 60