SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere Nutzervereinbarung und die Datenschutzrichtlinie.
SlideShare verwendet Cookies, um die Funktionalität und Leistungsfähigkeit der Webseite zu verbessern und Ihnen relevante Werbung bereitzustellen. Wenn Sie diese Webseite weiter besuchen, erklären Sie sich mit der Verwendung von Cookies auf dieser Seite einverstanden. Lesen Sie bitte unsere unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie und die Nutzervereinbarung.
expected and maximum wind, flood levels, frequency and historical data MRR / TERM software as a reporting platform, but also a system to initiate alarms, notify corporate / local management teams and authorities and to provide emergency response actions based on the alarm level and defined plans.
Emergency response and alarm plans structured in preliminary (before corrective actions are implemented) and final, once the corrective actions are implemented.
What is Global Irradiation?
DRF - Pres Final
A smart approach to manage
Weather related exposures
Eivind Helland - Swissnor GmbH, Baden, Switzerland.
Hanspeter Frei - Global Risk Experts AG, Wollerau, Switzerland
Sebastian Glink - MeteoGroup Schweiz AG, Appenzell, Switzerland.
Natural Hazards over the last 30 years
• causes widespread destruction and loss of life
• almost USD 4 trillion in economic losses
• 75% are storm- and flood related
• 40% of these losses alone in Asia
Added value for the Post 2015 Framework
for Disaster Risk Reduction
• Support of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for
– Action 2: Identify, assess, monitor and mitigate disaster risks
– Enhance early warning and preparation for the event and post-event
– Implementing the MRR approach also benefit the local communities
by sharing highly reliable weather data and early warnings at no costs
– Supports the commitment to corporate social responsibility and
climate change impacts
• Further steps to be addressed in the Post 2015 Framework
– Research: Further calibration of modelling approach with back-testing
– Education & Training: Education of personnel to implement emergency
response plans and preparedness training
Thank you !
Information and Contact :
Meteo Risk Response Deliverables
• Site specific meteorological / hydrological models with information of
wind, flood levels, frequency and historical data
• Site assessment with clear description of loss scenarios, evaluation of
exposure regarding frequency and severity, loss estimation, values at risk
• Tailored risk treatment by elimination, reduction or prevention, with
estimated implementation expenditure , pay-back period and reduction of
cost of risks
• Emergency response and alarm plans before and after corrective actions
are implemented. Training & testing.
• Weather station on-site providing regular, streaming weather data.
• MRR / TERM software as a risk management platform to manage initiate
alarms, notify pre-defined audiences, and to provide emergency response
actions based on the alarm level and defined plans.
Benefits of the approach
• Most advanced weather stations with hourly forecasting
• A dynamic risk management software in a modern web-based
solution, incl. incident & risk analytics, quantification of
earnings at risk, risk indicator monitoring, alarm notification,
emergency response plan, including activation and various
modeling & reporting features
• Loss forecasting and risk treatment of natural hazards by
elimination or reduction of probabilities and/or severity of
• Improved budget planning as well as optimization of reserves
and insurance solutions regarding natural catastrophe impacts
• Understanding of dependencies and supply chain
vulnerabilities impacting the bottom line and cash flows
Benefits of the approach (cont.)
• Facilitating the decision on risk appetite and risk tolerance
• Improved reputation and meeting investors’, stakeholders’ and
supply chain expectations regarding stable earnings,
predictability and transparency by proactive Risk Management
• Supports the commitment to corporate social responsibility
and climate change impacts
• For organizations with multiple sites a triage process will help
to identify high risk locations to optimize efficiency of the MRR
services with the aim to reduce overall cost.
On-site weather stations
Following parameters are
measured and transmitted every
10 minutes via GPRS/ SMS:
- Wind speed
- Wind gusts
- Wind direction
- Air pressure
- Global irradiation
Different mathematical meteorological and hydrological
models for storm and water levels include:
• Meteorological & hydrological* forecasting models for studies
on precipitation and run-off processes
• Hydrological and hydraulic reservoir inflow forecasting models
• Hydrological and hydraulic river/channel models covering the
• Models describing sediment transport in the catchment area
* DHI (Danish Hydrological Institute) is our partner as world leading company in hydrological modeling