2. Interviewing Skills - Purpose
• Is the candidate qualified?
• Are they a good fit for the company?
• Determine of you are invited back for a second interview and ultimately
whether you are offered a job.
• Job Seekers
• Opportunity to meet and connect with the prospective employer.
• Sell your skills and abilities.
• Help you determine if you are a good fit for the company.
10. Know yourself
• Know your resume inside and out
• Be prepared to answer questions, give examples or tell a
story about every job you have held and every achievement
and education noted on the resume
• Provide skills and strengths that you possess that are
relevant to the job
• Know your personal and professional goals and how they
will fit with the company goals
• BE TRUTHFUL. Don’t exaggerate or give inaccurate,
19. Helpful pointers
• Get to the right place at least 30 min early
• You are being watched
• Dress appropriately
• Switch your phone off
• No chewing gum or nail biting or knuckle
• Greet people by name
• Shake hands
• Sit when asked to
• Accept water
• Manage your body and voice
• Make appropriate eye contact
38. First impressions & body language
How you handle your body marks you as confident,
shy or arrogant
41. Body language during the interview...
• Give the appearance
of energy as you
• Shake hands firmly
• Wait until you are
offered a chair
• Sit upright and look
alert and interested
• Look the interviewer
in the eye
• Be careful for folding
hands and arms and
crossing your legs
• Do not fiddle!
42. First impressions & dressing the part
Dress to match the context: this will determine
how much you are perceived to “fit”
49. What goes wrong?
Different CULTURAL ways of doing things:
• Greeting peers or older people?
– First names
– Generic name like “aunty”?)
• Who greets first?
• Do you sit down?
• Do you knock?
• When do you enter?
• Saying thank you?
70. If you don’t get the job...
• Be polite and gracious
• Learn what you can from the
• Try to find out (or work out) why you
did not succeed and then do
something to address the issues
• Ask the company!