• Why darkroom is preferred and retained?
• Functions of daylight processing area
• Advantages of daylight processing area
• Daylight processing method
• Daylight using Cassette and daylight without Cassette or cassette less
• Darkroom still necessary?
• A method of handling and processing x-ray film eliminating the time
consuming, labour intensive, darkroom procedures has long been
sought by all who work in x-ray department.
• The development of the roller-type x-ray film processor in the late
1950s was the first step towards the goal
• The next major development occured when Mr. Gunther schmidt of the
production Company, in conjuction with Du point, developed a daylight
loading processing system for x-ray film.
• This was first put in operation in 1969. The Du Piont daylight loading
system rapidly gained world-wide acceptance and the principle of
daylight loading has been adopted by all the major x-ray film
4. DAYLIGHT PROCESSING
• The daylight system is a method whereby x-ray films can be loaded into
a cassette and after being exposed, emptied from the cassette into an x-
ray film processor in normal room lighting and without using a
• Dalight automatic processor enable film to be processed without need
for darkroom using special cassette
• The term day light film handling means that the film goes from
exposure in the x-ray room to its viewing as a finished radiograph in the
reporting room, it does not need to progress through darkroom at any
stage. These equipment can be installed anywhere under any ordinary
artificial light no safe light is needed . so these method might be called
daylight film handling system.
5. why is darkroom preffered and retained?
• The retention of a small darkroom facility may be justified as follows:
• Some daylight systems and laser imagers require their film magazines
to be loaded under safelight conditions.
• Some types of films and cassettes arc incompatible with daylight
systems; e.g.duplicating film, curved cassettes for
• Dental film processing (although dedicated automatic daylight
processors are available for this purpose).
6. Function of daylight processing areas
• (1) Loading/unloading of cassettes by processing equipment.
• (2) Care and maintenance of electronic and processing equipment.
• (3) Production of hard copy images from digital data.
• (4) Storage on unexposed film.
• (5) Silver recovery.
• (6) Storage area for a small number of replenisher packs.
• (7) Site for replenisher tanks or automixer.
A low-level sink unit should be provided for the cleaning of processor racks,
and two panels - one controlling the electrical supply and the other the
water inlet valves - located near the film processors
7. ADVANTAGES OF DAYLIGHT PROCESSING
• The Staff who work alone in the x-ray department are able to remain in
contact with thier ill and injured patients.
• Away from the safe light in order to process the films and to reloads the
• There is no need to coop in the darkroom, working conditions are
improved,time is saved, and skilled staff is more efficiently used.
• X-ray rooms do not need to close to the darkroom and so there is
greater scope in departmental planning. Also day light film processor
needs less space as compared the darkroom automatic process.
• Automated handling reduces the risk of damage to films and intensifying
8. Daylight Processing Method
• Any processing method that doesnt neednandarkroom is called
daylight processing method.
• Both manual and automatic processing can be executed in this
• Manual daylight processing involves stripping the film inside proof
• Then Processing steps are carried out manually as usual but in daylight
• If an automatic processor has a daylight-loading chamber and since
the entire assembly is enclosed in a light proof contains, it also can be
called as daylight processing method.
• Elimination of need of a darkroom is the only advantage in this
9. Daylight Using cassettes
• Day light system which handle cassettes perform a series of
operation for which the following items of equipment are necessary:
• A cassettes in which in normal room lighting can be automatically
loaded before radiographic exposure,unloaded after wards and then
reloaded with film in readiness for the next exposure.
10. Day light System without Cassettes or cassette less
• Day light system for automatically handling x-ray films without putting
them into cassette are in use especially for the radiography of chest
or digital imaging radiography.
14. Darkrooms - still Necessary
• Darkrooms are still necessary for maunal processor and automatic
• Its concern with the loading automatic film processor magazine
• Necessary for conducting certain quality control test ( e.g