2. • WHAT IS ENERGY EFFICIENCY?
Reducing the amount of energy required for production or to
successfully render services.
Being energy efficient by simply switching off a light bulb or
having large solar panels installed in your house not only saves
you money, but also has a positive impact on the environment.
• Switching to LED bulbs will save you up to 80% of lighting
• LED bulbs also produce more light hence covering a wider
area as compared to a regular bulb.
LEDs REGULAR BULB
Light bulb projected lifespan 50,000 hours 1,200 hours
Watts per bulb (equiv. 60 watts) 10 60
Cost per bulb Ksh395 Ksh50
KWh of electricity used over
Bulbs needed for 50k hours of use 1 42
LEDs versus regular bulb
5. WATER HEATERS
• Keep your water heater warm. Having it at a temperature of
between 110-135 degrees is warm enough rather than letting
the water get too hot.
• Opting for one fridge or freezer is advantageous.
• The fridge doors should remain closed always and seals
checked regularly to avoid the cool air from escaping
• Food should not be refrigerated when hot.
• Vacuum the coils at the back of your refrigerator frequently
and the refrigerator should not be located near the stove or
7. DO AWAY WITH OLD APPLIANCES
• Old appliances are less energy efficient because they tend to
use more energy. This will save energy therefore lowering
your electricity bills.
• Make sure you look for the Energy Star label on each
appliance, the more the stars the more efficient it is.
8. STOVES AND OVENS
• Use burner according to pot size.
• Frequently clean the drip pans under conventional burners.
• When using the oven, ensure the door seal is tight and the
pot lids are used to cover the pots.
• Use a microwave when warming food.
• Use your washing machine when full to capacity.
• Use dry lines instead of dryer and do ironing in large batches
instead of ironing one or two clothes daily.
• Avoid using too much detergent to save water.
10. COLLECT RAIN WATER
• Energy efficiency does not only revolve around
electricity alone. Water is also important and must
be conserved. Collecting rain water saves your
money. You will not only rely on the piped water
therefore reducing your monthly water bill.
• Unplug idle computers from the sockets.
• Laptops are energy efficient, the use half the power a
desktop computer uses.
• Buy laptops rated 3.3V with lighter batteries.
12. CONTACT US
P.O. BOX 50583-00200, Nairobi (Kenya)
Repren Complex Mombasa Rd Suite 103/104