1. SOLAR HOT WATER WORKSHOP – PVT
( Photovoltaic thermal hybrid solar collectors)
2. WHY GO THE PVT ROUTE?
• The PVT panel
combines the benefits
of a thermal solar
system and a
which until now has
been sold as separate
3. BENEFITS OF A PVT HYBRID
• Efficiency increase by up to 30%
• Output increase by up to 10%
• Heating of swimming pools
• In combination with a thermal heat pump.
• Heat energy storage in the ground
• Pre-heating of ground water
• Hot water generation
• Supplementary heating
• Defrosting of snow and ice
4. BENEFITS OF A PVT HYBRID
• The combined model, with a potential of
reaching 80oC can be cooled down to a
temperature below 20oC in a very short period.
• By passing a water temperature of 12-20oC from
a storage tank or swimming pool through the
thermal part of the PVT panel, the increase in
efficiency of the PV rises to 30%
• With an outdoor temperature of 25c an increase
in electricity generating output of 10% per year
can be achieved.
5. BENEFITS OF A PVT HYBRID
The benefits of combining thermal solar systems and
photovoltaic systems including easy mounting and
connections, reduced space requirements and higher
overall efficiency per m2.
9. SOLAR HOT WATER – DISCUSSION GROUPS
1. What financing options exist for SHW and what financial
models can be adopted for increased uptake of SHW systems
2. What are some of the barriers that limit adoption of SHW
systems in Kenya?
3. What are some of the key issues that need to be added to
the current SHW regulations that would positively impact the
4. What can be done to improve the technical skills and
capacity for SHW contractors, technicians and other players
in the SHW field?
5. With regards to the water crisis in the region – what
innovative solutions can be employed to mitigate, adapt and
overcome this challenge?