1. Edward W. Stewart, CPA, MBA
10214 Southmoor Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20901
CPA and MBA with over 20 years’ experience in financial analysis, costing systems, accounting
and operational auditing within multi-million dollar corporate divisions and private companies. I
am proficient in SAP and GP Dynamics accounting platforms; a strong leader and team player
with excellent communication and report writing skills to facilitate managements’ understanding
of the financial impact of operational decisions.
Atlantic Recycling Group, Rockville, MD May 12 – Present
• Lead a department of six staff to align the companies back office functions with the
informational needs of line managers and executive management while improving efficiencies.
• Develop and lead effort to streamline the accounting department to include:
o Improved intercompany billing procedure, from one invoice per load to one invoice per
week, which reduced processing time enough to allow for a headcount reduction of one
o Consolidated 12 companies into one in Great Plains, to streamline accounting function
and improve reporting and analysis. This also consolidated payrolls run, from six to two.
o Moved from weekly to bi-weekly payroll, advocated to have IT develop an integration
tool for time records from our time keeping system (Time in a Box) to our accounting
system (Great Plains). This along with the consolidation of companies in Great Plains
resulted in savings of $80K per year.
o Reduce the chart of accounts from over 4,000 accounts to less than 2,300 a 43%
o Reduced vendors by eliminating outdated records from over 9,000 to under 6,000 a
o Reduced customer records from approximately 1,200 to just over 800 a 31% reduction.
• Lead the financial analysis and the negotiations of moving from a Line of Credit to an Asset
Based Credit Facility. Lead the accounting/treasury transition due to changing to ABL facility.
• Negotiate financing for capital purchases valued at over $2M/year.
• Improved inventory accuracy through analysis of purchases and streamlining reporting
• Completed Treasury Review with primary and secondary banks, saving $10K/year through
account and bank services elimination.
• Instituted the detailed tracking of Gross Margin to allow for better analysis of margin by product,
increasing Gross Margin.
• Successfully transitioned the company from a yearly financial review to a yearly audit.
• Co-led the effort to move 401K plan from a poor performing provider/platform to a high
performing plan, reducing plan cost for both; participants and the company, serve as 401K
• Redesigned financial statements to better focus on key cost drivers and managements
understanding of those cost drivers.
Rinker Materials/CEMEX, Frederick, MD Aug. 04 – Apr. 12
Business Analyst/Senior Financial Analyst
• Acted as regional controller developing “bottom-up” budgets for operating locations with over
$30M in revenue, that linked to the business unit’s strategic plan and elevated performance.
Managed a $750K capital budget to ensure all requests met company policy.
• Developed operational improvement plans to increase efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Collaborated with managers to understand the production process and identify specific cost
saving initiatives. Reduced cost and non-value added activities through critical analysis of
current practices, achieved over $300K of savings annually. Provided business decision support
to line managers on the financial impact of operational decisions.
2. • Ensured data integrity of all financial records, including a standard costing system, through
internal reviews of financial controls and training staff. Used variance and root cause analysis to
identify, develop and complete ad-hoc analysis.
• Lead the regional effort to ensure accuracy of information input into SAP accounting system by
conducting self-audits. Ensured corporate guidelines and legal requirements were met for
administrative functions and financial reporting through self-audits, monthly variance analysis
and developing improvement plans where deficiencies exist.
• Developed monthly sales and earnings forecasts through trend analysis and an understanding
of the current business environment.
• Prepared financial statements using trend and variance analysis to provide management with
insight to operational effectiveness. Tracked critical expenses to understand and report
variances to the operating group.
• Completed special projects as needed including in-sourcing vs. outsource analysis which led to
increased yearly EBIT of $50K.
• Increased accuracy of standard costing system through variance analysis and understanding of
master data flow through SAP.
• Reduced inventory variances through root cause analysis.
CSX Corp., Jacksonville, FL Jul. 99 – Mar. 04
Manager, Financial Analysis & Budgets Feb. 02 – Mar. 04
• Developed annual operating budget for 46 locations totaling over $250M.
• Completed quarterly revenue and profit forecasts.
• Produced and implemented capital expenditures budget.
• Created monthly reports for financial and production trend analysis.
• Designed spreadsheets to facilitate internal and external reporting.
Staff/Senior Auditor Jul. 99 – Jan. 02
• Performed operational and contract reviews to identify revenue and cost savings opportunities,
identified over $8M in revenue and savings.
• Worked on a team that designed and built a cost-sharing model to make monthly billing process
more efficient and accurate. Took the billing cycle from 45 to 15 days while increasing accuracy
from 65 to 95 percent.
• Reported audit findings and corrective actions to be taken to both clients and senior
• Prepared procedure narratives for Sarbanes-Oxley testing.
• Conducted interviews with clients to develop audit scope and program.
• Designed and implemented control procedures to increase accuracy of internal and external
IKO Production Inc., Wilmington, DE
Accountant Jun. 95 - Jan. 98
• Staff accountant for asphalt shingle manufacturer.
Ball & Buckley, CPAs, Woodbury, NJ
Accountant/Auditor Oct. 93 – May 95
• Audited various Municipalities and Government entities.
Master of Business Administration, University of Delaware
Graduate Assistant for MBA Programs Office Graduated: Magna cum Laude
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Rider University
Major: Accounting Graduated: Magna cum Laude
CPA, State of New Jersey, February 1996, License #20CC02430000
• Skilled user of SAP, Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 and Management Reporter