7. Personal Identity
• A sense of individual
• An experience that is core
and unique to you.
8. What is your identity?
Through status symbols.
• These symbols help form teen identities by
expressing affiliation with specific groups.
9. What is your identity?
Through forbidden behaviuors
• Teens often feel that appearing mature will
bring recognition and acceptance.
10. What is your identity?
• Rebellion demonstrates separation.
• From parents and authority figures, while
maintaining the acceptance of their peers.
11. What is your identity?
• Loose hold of their own identities.
• Identification with idol gives teens a sense of
12. What is your identity?
Through cliquish exclusion
• Teens can be intolerant in their exclusion of their
• Don’t want to be associated with anyone having
unacceptable or unattractive characteristics.
• Strengthen their own identities by excluding
those that are not like them.
14. Identity Crisis
• According to Erikson's theory:
• Resolving a crisis determines personal identity
and future development.
• First crisis happens early to middle adolescence
• Crisis of identity vs Identity confusion.
• This crisis represents the struggle to find balance
between developing a unique, individual identity
while still being accepted and "fitting in."
15. Identity Crisis
• Uncertain about who you are.
• Become socially disconnected and cut-off from
• Or develop an exaggerated sense of your own
• If become stuck at this stage unable to become
emotionally mature adults .
16. ‘Healthy Identity’
• When navigate through this crisis a clear
understanding of individual identity emerges.
• Easy to share this "self" with others.
• Therefore become healthy and well-adjusted.
18. Self Identity & Values
• Self-identities evolves –Value system emerges.
• Your values are the things that you believe are
• It determines your priorities
• A measure used to tell if your life is turning out
the way you that you desired
19. Self Esteem, Self Worth and Self
• Self Esteem –the way we see,
think and feel about ourselves.
• Self Worth-the way we value
• Self Opinion-the judgement we
make of ourselves.
20. • Self-esteem can be misaligned with other people's
perception of who we are.
• Self esteem is what we build for ourselves.
• We cant rely on external factors
23. How to develop a healthy sense of self
• First and foremost start by developing a
better relationship with your authentic
• Do not rely on eternal factors to
formulate who you are!
• Tips on how to do this is in Dr Funke
Baffour’s Book “Love you Authentic Self”
24. Improving your Authentic Self
Five Top Tips
1. Identify your qualities
2. Focus on past successes
3. Recognise unhelpful criticism
4. Use an alternative view point to negative
5. Avoid unhelpful comparisons
We have explored
– Who am I?
– Personal Identity
– Theories of identity
– Erikson’s Identity Crisis
– Healthy Identity
– Identity and Values
– Self Esteem
– Top tips to improve authentic self