• The IELTS speaking test is
comprised of three parts, each of
which is a little harder than the
previous. Part 2 is different from the
others as it has no question to
answer. Instead, there is a cue card
that gives a task. This will usually
say “Describe a…” and then has
some further instructions. It is
sometimes called “The Long Turn”
by tutors and students, as you need
to speak for a longer time.
• Today, I’ll show you everything you
need to know about this tricky task.
3. THE BASIC
Ok, so what do you actually have to do in IELTS speaking part 2?
Speaking 1-2 minutes
Describe something (like a person, place, event, animal, etc)
That’s essentially all you need to do. You cannot speak for lesson
than one minute, and you cannot go off-topic. Just describe
something according to the information on the cue card.
There will also be a few related questions at the end, once you
have finished talking. These will be related to the topic on which
4. WHAT IS
• In the IELTS speaking test part 2, you will
be given a cue card by the examiner. This
is a piece of paper that contains some
instructions for you to follow. It will look
• Describe a historical place that you
• You should say:
• what the place is
• where it is located
• what is the historical significance
of the place
• and describe your experience of the
• In short, the first line will say “Describe…”
something. Then there will be three things
you should talk about, followed by a final
point. This last line will usually say “why”
but not always. Sometimes it is just an
additional thing to describe.
6. MAKING NOTES
• Once you receive the cue card, you will be given one minute to make
notes and prepare your answer. This can be challenging because it
is not a lot of time to prepare. The key is to follow this pattern:
• Choose an answer quickly.
• Make short notes.
• That’s all. Just decide what you want to say, and then write down
some notes that will help guide you as you speak. To do this, you
should note down words that will help you remember a loose
structure, as well as important words such as difficult vocabulary.
8. How to
for band 7
Step 1: Make a strong
background (speak 3
sentences) spend 20 to
Step 2: Answer the first
bullet question (firstly, at
first) (speak 3
sentences) spend 20
Step 3: Answer the
second bullet question
(speak 3 sentences)
spend 20 to 25 seconds
Step 4: Answer the third
bullet question (thirdly,
furthermore) (speak 3
sentences) spend 20 to
Step 5: Answer why
question (finally, at last)
(speak 3 sentences)
spend 20 to 25 seconds
9. Part 2 (Describing) we need to use high-class topic
People Past Present Future
Place Past Present Future
Object Past Present Future
Experience Past Present Future
Activity Past Present Future
10. H I G H B A N D
S C O R E
V O C A B U L A R I E S
21. • Describe a well-known
person you admire
• You should say:
• Who the person is
• What he/she does
• How you know about him/her
• And explain why you
admire/him/her so much
Describe a well-
22. • Well, I admire numerous famous people from different backgrounds, while
it is quite impossible to describe about all those persons in this confined
talk. Therefore, I am going to talk to you about one of the great persons
who is a soccer player.
• Firstly, the person is a professional soccer player and he is not other than
Cristino Ronalodo. He is in his mid-thirties. His height is about 6 feet. His
outlook is just gorgeous and fair-complexioned. He is also known with his
nick name CR 7. Also he is the number 1 most handsome football player in
the football history. Interestingly, he has scored more than 740 goals in his
career, and he is the top 3 most goal scorer, as well.
• Secondly, as said earlier he is professional footballer and he has played
from the most reputed football clubs like Manchester United, Real Madrid
and Juventus. Moreover, he has won 5 Ballon d’Or, 5 champions ’ leagues,
5 league titles, and a Europe Cup, and many more individual awards in his
• Thirdly, I know about him much because I am his die-hard fan and I watch
almost all his games live or on YouTube. As I myself like playing and
watching football in my leisure time because it is my hobby.
• Finally, I am influenced with his hard-work and personal success as he
came from a poor family from Portugal and with his success he is now the
richest football player of the decade. I like him very much because he says,
“Everything is possible, and we can win, just keep fighting for that, and
never give up.” Last but not the least; he has become a football legend and
celebrity and also source of inspiration to all in the sports arena.
23. • Describe a movie that you
• You should say:
• what the title of the movie
was and what it was about
• when and where you
• who you saw with
• and explain why you
enjoyed seeing this movie.
24. • Well, I have watched numerous amazing and big-budget movies in different sphere
and occasions so far in my life. However, it is not possible to describe about all those
unforgettable movies in this confined talk. Therefore, I am going to talk about one of
the emotionally-charged films in this talk.
• Firstly, the name of the movie is ‘Dear Comrade’. It is a South Indian movie. And the
plot of the movie is related to love-affair between the protagonists namely Lilly and
Bobby. The movie is based on real situation where how a woman is mistreated by the
• Secondly, I watched it last Saturday on YouTube at my own room. I came to know
that the movie was available online. I just downloaded it and watched it thoroughly
alone. It is because I like watching movies in a peaceful environment.
• Thirdly, as I have said that I do not like watching movies in movie hall because I
dislike crowed and background noise. If I watch alone, I can understand and enjoy
the movie at the fullest.
• Finally, I enjoyed the movie a lot because the male protagonist helped her girlfriend
tremendously at most difficult situations. Both of them love to the death. They are
humble and sincere each other. Their love grows stronger and stronger event by
25. • Describe a time when a
good photo was taken of
You should say:
• when the photo was taken
• where the photo was taken
• who took the photo
• and explain why the photo
26. • Well, I have taken a lot of stunning photos of mine in different
spare of time and occasions so far in my life. However, in this
talk I am going to describe you about one of the best times
when the perfect photo was captured.
• Firstly, yes, the family photo was taken last year during Dashain
because all the family members of my family were there and
they were in red Tika on their foreheads as well as Jamaras on
their ears. Again, we all were in beautiful cultural get-ups and
• Secondly, the group family photo was just taken in the stunning
garden of my own house since the garden was full of a variety
of flowers and covered with grass. We thought to take the photo
because of its background scene.
• Moreover, in order to take the photo, the photographer was
hired as he could take the photo faultlessly. What I meant that
the professionals are better than others.
• Finally, the very photograph was taken as a memory when we
all family members were altogether in delightful moods and
smiles on our faces.
27. • Describe an amazing
experience of your life
• what the experience/ activity
• when you undertook it
• where you did it
• and explain it why it is special
28. • Well, I have experienced hundreds of thousands of spectacular ups and
downs so far in my life which are unforgettable, while it is not possible to
describe all of them in this confined talk. Therefore, I am going to describe
one of such amazing experiences to you hereby.
• Firstly, the name of the activity or experience is Paragliding. As it is known
as one of the adventurous activities across the globe and it is exciting and
dangerous. In fact, in case of my country Nepal, it has become quite
popular activity among domestic as well as international tourists during
• Secondly, I experienced it approximately two years back when I was in a
week of summer holiday with my family members. Since my father enjoys
undertaking such stimulating experiences and so do I. I would say that it
was one of the overwhelmed moments I have ever done before.
• Thirdly, the place is obviously Pokhara which is best known as a tourist
destination because of its natural beauty, breath-taking landscapes and
welcoming people. It is equally famous for such wonderful activity.
• Finally, the very event is special that the experience is still fresh in my mind
which is difficult to forget in my life. If I remember the past experience, it
automatically hits my mind and memory. Thus, I would like to experience it
once in my life in the days to come.
29. • Describe a vocation which
is important for society
• what the vocation is
• what it involves in
• how it supports the society
• and explain why you think it
is important for society
30. • Well, all the vocations or professions are equally significant for the betterment of the
society in their own realm. However, in today’s talk I would like to describe you about one
of the most remarkable occupations which is inevitable for the advancement of entire
human society among all.
• Firstly, the name of the vocation is undoubtedly; “Teaching”. As it is one of the esteemed
professions throughout the world it is because of its crucial impact in the whole society. I
meant that those people who are engaged in this profession have high social prestige and
veneration as it literates the world and gives the new life to an individual.
• Secondly, this vocation particularly involves in teaching-learning activities where the
young children are taught about the value of education in their lives after they succeeded
in their specific disciplines. Not only that but it also teaches about the importance of
cultures and traditions that have been existing from generation to generation from the
beginning of human civilisation to the upcoming ones. The young minds are trained in the
systematic methodologies where they are taught how to behave with their seniors and
• Thirdly, teaching produces the capable and skilled manpower which is significantly
important for the development of the society as well as the nation after all. To be precise, it
is said the children are the pillars of the nation. Therefore, they should be exposed with
splendid teaching and learning environment. Moreover, it also gives birth to intellectual
people who play vital role in the society.
• Finally, it is essential for the society without it the society cannot move forward to the way
of developments and discoveries. The society cannot be advanced and competitive
anymore without such eminent vocation. Therefore, in my opinion, teaching is the
backbone of the society.
31. • Describe a hotel you know
• You should say:
• Where this hotel is
• What this hotel looks like
• What facilities this hotel has
• And explain whether you think this is a nice hotel to stay in
32. Background Well, I know about many wonderful hotels ranging from the three star to seven star hotels of
my country. However, it is not possible to describe about all these spectacular hotels in this
confined talk. Therefore, I want to describe about one of the most popular 5 star hotels to you.
Firstly, the name of this amazing hotel is “Hotel Radisson”. It is located at the heart of
Kathmandu valley namely in Lazimpat. This is one of the famous hotels among domestic and
Secondly, this hotel looks really compelling because of its unique colour. Also, this is a five
storied hotel. If you go to the top of the hotel, you can see the eye-catching and panoramic
view of Kathmandu valley.
Thirdly, this hotel has lots of captivating facilities. There is a large conference hall which is
really suitable for meeting. In addition, we can host different events like birthday party and
wedding ceremony. Also, there is a large parking area with free Wi-Fi access.
Finally, I think that this is really a nice hotel to stay because the staff there are very responsive
and welcoming. Moreover, this hotel has strong security system. Last but not the least, the
food items they serve are delicious, hygienic and healthy.
33. Describe a small business that you would like to
You should say :
•What this business would be
•Where it would be located
•What people you would hire as employees
And explain why you’d like to have this small business
34. It goes without saying that future is quite uncertain and almost no one can predict exactly what is
waiting for them ahead, however, to some extent I always believe that our future depends on our plans
and actions at present.
As a fresh graduate, I want to become an entrepreneur and run a chain of boutique shops selling
stylish clothing, dresses and jewelry. This is probably because ever since I was a kid, I have had a great
passion for designing and sewing pieces of garments, firstly for my doll and then for real people
Gradually, I constantly get more insights into fashion industry and keep me posted with clothes that are
in the thing. Although I am currently majoring in economics instead of fashion designing, I hold a
strong belief that my acute business sense and a sincere interest in the clothing business will help
me to succeed in the future. Nevertheless, I always have to remind me that opening and running
an apparel store is serious business and that I have to put one hundred percent effort in leading it to
success as well as get ready to face up to failures.
I guess that’s why some people around me wonder why I want to give up the safety of my corporate job
with good compensation package such as steady income, insurance, pension plan, long vacations
and the opportunity for rapid promotion just to become a small business owner. The answer is indeed
quite simple for me, which is I want to walk out of my comfort zone, challenge myself in a new
business and last but not least, give myself a chance to fulfil my childhood dream
Go without saying (that) to be completely obvious or true
To some/a certain/a limited extent (phrase) partly, but not completely
Entrepreneur (noun) someone who uses money to start businesses and make business
Garment (noun) a piece of clothing. This word is used especially when talking about the
production and sale of clothes
Major in (phrase) to study something as your main subject at college or university
Acute (adj) used for describing the senses and abilities of someone who notices things
very quickly and easily
Apparel (noun) a word for clothes, used especially in stores or other businesses
Face up to (something/somebody) to confront with courage someone or something
representing a threat or unpleasantness.
Compensation package (phrase) the salary and other benefits that an employee
Comfort zone (idiom) a situation or position in which a person feels secure,
comfortable, or in control
Fulfill one’s dream (collocation) realize a dream, make dream come true