R N S INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
(AICTE Approved, VTU Affiliated, NAAC ‘A’ Grade Accredited)
UG Programs - CSE, ECE, ISE, EIE and EEE have been Accredited by NBA for the
Academic years 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21Dr. Vishnuvardhan Road, Channasaandra,
Rajarajeshwari Nagara Post, Bengaluru-560 098
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
INTERNSHIP PRESENTATION ON
INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION TECHNOLOGY
SIDHAANTH BHEEMAIAH 1RN18ME102
Mr RAKSHITH A N
Asst Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
VISVESVARAYA TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
JNANA SANGAMA, BELAGAVI-590018
• Programmable Logic Controller
• It is an industrial digital computer.
• It is capable of storing instructions to implement control functions
such as sequencing, timing, counting, arithmetic, data manipulation
• The PLC has I/O interfaces that provide the connection between the
PLC and the information providers (inputs like pushbuttons, sensors,
and the controllable devices (outputs like valves, relays, lamps,)
HISTORY OF PLC
• PLC was born in an automotive industry in USA.
• Before PLC, the control ling sequencing, and safety interlock logic in
automobile manufacturing industries was accomplished using
hundreds or thousands of relays, cam timers, drum sequencers and
dedicated closed loop controllers.
• The process for updating such facilities was very time consuming and
expensive, as electricians needed to individually rewire each and
• The PLC controls industrial
machines in a manufacturing unit.
• They are used in assembly line,
robotic devices, and any activity
that requires high reliability
control and ease of programming
and process fault diagnosis.
• Materials handling, packaging,
palletizing, milling, boring,
grinding, filling, sorting, weighing
are the different industries using
INDUSTRIAL PNEUMATICS AND HYDRAULICS
• A pneumatic system is a system that uses compressed air to
transmits and control energy. Pneumatic systems are used
extensively in various industries.
• Compressed air is the air from the atmosphere which is reduced in
volume by compression thus increasing its pressure.
• The word hydraulics is based on the Greek word for water, and
originally covered the study of the physical behavior of water at
rest and in motion.
• Use has broadened its meaning to include the behavior of all
liquids, although it is primarily concerned with the motion of
• TO DESIGN A PLC PROGRAM TO MAKE AN AUTOMATIC TABLET FILLER
• THE SEQUENCE IS AS FOLLOWS:
-WHEN THE START BUTTON IS PRESSED THE CONVEYOR BELT IS SHOULD
START MOVING TILL THE TUBE COMES BELOW THE FUNNEL CONTAINING
-THEN THE FUNNEL SHOULD OPEN AND FILL THREE TABKETS INTO THE
TUBE BEFORE CLOSING IT.
-AFTER THE TUBE IS FILLED WITH THREE TABLETS THE CONVEYOR BELT
SOULD START MOVING AGAIN.
-THE ABOVE PROCESS SHOULD REPEAT UNTIL THE STOP BUTTON IS
• INDRAWORKS ML 12V12 PATCH 10, BY REXROTH INDRAWORKS
* It is used in civil applications
like washing machines ,
elevators, traffic signals
*It is used in aerospace for
water tank quenching system.
*It is used in travel industry for
escalator operations, monitored
safety control system.