Bedfordshire, MK17 9EF M. 07779-134720 H. 01525-280990 E. firstname.lastname@example.org
Demonstrable record of achievement through change, leadership and innovation across multiple sectors spanning;
Leisure, Retail, Travel and Care. Proven ability to formulate and execute strategic plans by developing rapport with
customer facing personnel and a deep understanding of the operational levers. I have delivered; start-ups, roll-outs,
major structural changes, transformation projects innovated new business concepts and delivered significant P&L
improvements. I have run operations with sales of £150m, cost centres of £50m and divisional teams of over 3000.
Experience Career Summary
● CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER ACC Television Nov 2010 – Sept 2014
Introduction of Live Television Training to UK Care Industry by building; Membership, Team, Brand and Reputation of
an innovative Australian Care Training Methodology in UK Care Sector. This multifaceted role demanded; strategy,
communications, product development and re-branding to position the company for growth in the UK market place.
Selling ACC as a model for change B2B and within the care sector forums was a key success factor.
• Established a UK Office, Team and production infrastructure, whilst leading the change programme to
restructure the Australian parent company and establish sound sales methodology and governance.
• Transformation of ACC methodology onto a cloud platform enabling; streaming via smart Phone and tablet,
completion of online assessments; tracking using our unique Learning Management System.
• Development of strategic partners and relationships among industry heavy weights; (Des Kelly (NCF), Martin
Green (Care England), Glen Mason (DOH), Sharon Allen (SFC), Jo Cleary (ADASS) and Debbie Sorkin (NSA).
• Doubling membership base during recession by becoming the only national provider to obtain ‘Excellence’
accreditation for our methodology from the National Skills Academy.
As a privately owned company, the Australian owners did not have the appetite for risk to finance phase two of the
plan to grow the company. We agreed that caretaking and incremental growth would not require me as a CEO.
● MANAGING DIRECTOR EUROPE Sunrise Senior Living Dec 2002 - Jun 2009
Established and led the roll out of 37 purpose built private pay senior care communities in the UK & Germany.
Sunrise is an American model of premium private-pay care provision for frail seniors. Role involved leadership
through clear communications about quality of care, unique concept and company culture. Market penetration was
achieved by establishing effective sales and marketing strategies to drive occupancy and growth.
• Turnover growth from £5 to £150M in less than 8 years. Delivery of 96% occupancy, 43% operating margin.
• Installation and close management of: Enhanced sales management processes, KPI’s, objectives and long
term plans to deliver consistent P&L results, occupancy, margin and growth.
• Operational and market representation on senior site selection committee securing private equity approval
for 35 projects at circa £25M each.
• Personally active in every leader selection and de-selection in each community ensuring tight alignment
with the organisations’ strong value based principles.
In August 2007 the Sunrise JV with Capital Partner sold the existing and developing estate to Morgan Stanley Real
Estate for a 15.5 multiple. Two weeks, later the credit crunch hit. Over the subsequent two years the new capital
partner sought to cut cost from the operating model. In 2009, I compromised out of Sunrise having defended the
operating model and corporate values in the interest of long term reputation and resident safety.
● DIRECTOR PASSENGER SERVCES Britannia Airways, Thomson, TUI Group, Europe May 1999 – Dec 2002
Responsible for leading the group’s largest division of; 3000 Cabin Crew, £44M On-board sales, Marketing, PR,
Communications, Domestic and Foreign Airport Services. Employed to restructure Britannia’s customer offer from
that of a pseudo-scheduled/charter airline to a leisure airline appropriate to the customer profile. Then, seconded
to lead on the Group’s change programme with Cap Gemini at Thompson Travel Group encompassing Britannia, Lunn
Poly & Thomson Holidays. When the TTG Group was purchased by Pressuag, creating Europe’s largest tourism
operator TUi, I was seconded work in Hannover in the International group marketing team. Our remit was to
integrate 35 European travel brands with the TUi Masterbrand and realise cost synergies for the group.
• Employed as leader and catalyst for change. I completed aircrew training and obtained licence to operate
as crew on Boeing 757 aircraft to fully understand, first hand, the scope for change.
• Repositioning and re-organisation of my division in Britannia enabled the reduction of £3.5M (15%) of
operating expense and resulted in the restructure of service flight crew.
• International Masterbrand synergy & re-design and implementation led to initial £4M cost base reduction.
The role became increasingly remote from the front line and elevated into strategic project management. I opted to
explore and accept an offer to become MD an American start-up, Sunrise Senior Living.
● DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS United Cinemas International Nov 1987 - May 1999
Cinema Design, Brand Development, Retail Design, Operation and Leadership of the UK’s largest and leading cinema
leisure group. I managed a number of roles; General Manager, Retail and Marketing Director, ultimately obtaining
full operational control as Director of Operations.
• In 11 years I was party to growth of the company from start-up to the market leading multiplex operator
with 42 locations in the UK and turnover of over £100M.
• As General Manager I opened and operated 5 multiplexes throughout the UCI and Ireland and supported the
extension into Portugal Japan and Germany during UCI’s growth phase.
• Retail Director as my detailed knowledge of the operation allowed me to develop national solutions, themed
retail promotions and deliver a 25% increase on group spend per head.
• Secured board approval to re-design the multiplex interior to drive retail design and delivery. I
implemented 3rd generation cinema offer including; Cinema Bars, Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Cafes, Impulse
Stores, Electronic entertainment areas, Children’s party rooms and a focused product mix.
• I worked in close partnership alongside the senior Coca-Cola GB Brand Marketing team. Through them I
became an invited international speaker on Retail Marketing in the Leisure industry in Europe and America.
After 11 years of progression in the group, I opted to explore and accept an offer to become Director of Passenger
Services for Britannia Airways (part of the Thomson Travel Group).
● MBA Strathclyde University 1991-1994
● BA Hons 2:1 Glasgow School of Art 1982-1986
● Advanced Coaching Mastery & Business NLP Practitioner Association for Coaching 2012
● Triathlons ● Mountain Biking ● Skiing & Boarding ● Lead Guitar ● C2 Rowing