1. Mulk Raj Anand Present Social Reality
Of India In His Novel
• Name : Makwana Daksha D.
• Course : M.A (English)
• Semester : 1
• Roll no : 4
• Enrollment no : 2069108420180034
• Subject : IWE ( Pre – Independence)
• Submitted to : Smt .S.B. Gardi Department of
3. Mulk Raj Anand
• Born : 12 December ,1905 , Peshawar
• Died : 28 September 2004 , Pune
• Indian writer in English , notable for his depiction of the lives
of the poorer castes in traditional Indian society.
• One of the pioneer of Indo Anglo- Fiction.
• His writing career began in England, where he used to
publish short reviews in T .S. Eliot’s magazine ‘ criterion ‘.
• He won ‘ The Sahitaya Academy Award for his novel “
The morning face ” - 1968
• He was honored with ‘ Padma Bhusan’ India’s third last
civilian award in 1967 for his vast contributions towards
the field of literature and education.
4. Mulk Raj Anand ‘s Novels
• Mulk Raj Anand admired for his novels and short
• His writings are rich with the realistic and touching
portrayal of the problems of the common man.
• He wrote numerous articles and essays on Marxism
, Indian independence and other political issues.
• His novel deals with untouchability , Exploitation ,
power and the suffering of the Indian masses.
• He noted for their perspective insight into the
lives of the oppressed and their analysis of
exploitation and misfortune .
• Untouchable – 1935
• Across the black waters -1939
• The Sword and The Sickle -1942
• Coolie -1936
• The private life of an Indian Prince – 1953
• The Village - 1939
Best known work is novel
“ Untouchable”( 1935 )
It is a story of a single day
in the life of Bakha , a toilet
cleaner suffers from the
frustration because of the
inhumanity of higher class
Anand shows the set up of
society , custom , religion
belief, casticism and social
issues of pre –independence
• Published in 1936
• The plot moves around a 14 year old
boy Munoo , as a victim of an
exploitative system, his innocent life
is crushed under the cruelty of the
• Munoo experience all the negative
aspect of the world. His journey from
innocence to experience is mediated
through ideologies of suppression
• Coolie - the evils of class system
which is greater than caste system
and suffering and problem of the
8. Mulk Raj Anand and his novels
• “Two leaves and a Bud -1937 “ deals with the topic of
oppression of the poor , about a peasant who tries protect his
daughter from a British soldier.
• Anand vehemently attacks the British tea garden owners
and Indian merchants for their inhuman treatment of the
laborers. Exploitation of one at the hand of the other .
• His novels also aims at wiping away social barriers and
orthodoxy , caste system and communalism . His themes depict
the complex social structure of society and humanity of man.
9. Anand’s novel - social reality
• Through his writing , he exposed several of India’s evil
practices. Most of his works are commentary on the social
structure of his time.
• He attacks casticism and classicism, his deep sorrow and
sympathy for the unfortunate poor and their inability of
cope with circumstances.
• Taboos of castle, untouchability , the blind belief in
superstitions, inhumanity of people which is very reality
of India. Mulk Raj Anand by his novels shows very
realistic picture of India.
• Coolie novel shows the slave system of
• Untouchable novel deals with character
Bakha as a sweeper boy and his suffering ,
belonging a lower class.
• Two leaves and a Bud theme of exploitation.
• We can say Anand’s novels present social
reality of India , which is very deeply rooted
in that time.