1. CURRICULUM VITAE FOR KIIZA CHARLES DICKENS
Family name : Kiiza
Other Names : Dickens Charles
Gender : Male
Date of Birth : 20th January 1973
Marital Status : Married
Nationality : Ugandan
Contact Address : C/O Terre des Hommes Netherlands, Uganda Office
P.O Box 73435 | Clock Tower Branch
Tel: 0772472804 / 0704472804
Kiiza has until February 2016 been the Finance and Administration Officer with Terre des Hommes Netherlands.
Kiiza is Methodical, Meticulous and an efficient professional with over 18 years experience.
Kiiza is versatile with strong practical competence in Financial Management and Administration.
Kiiza has a rich experience in managing budgets for profit and nonprofit organizations. Managed and administered
resources both money and assets; completes projects even amidst time and budget constraints.
Kiiza has vast experience in working with and managing people / communities of different cultures and ethnic
settings. Highly discreet and ethical.
Leadership and administration
Kiiza takes responsibility in working towards tangible results; He is reliable; He takes initiative and appropriate risks.
Takes a leading role on his own and for the benefit of the organisation.
Kiiza builds and nurtures strong, authentic and reciprocal relationships. He shows understanding of different
interests, cultures and perspectives. He accurately hears and understands the unspoken feelings.
Kiiza demonstrates genuine interest in people, things and issues relevant for organizations visions. He listens
actively, with honest appreciation; Takes time to reflect critically on the effect of his actions.
Kiiza consistently approaches work with energy, a positive, constructive attitude; Demonstrates openness and
adoptability to changes; able to manage complexities, lead effectively and mentoring others. Remains calm, in
control and good humoured even under pressure.
Vision, Objective and persistence
Kiiza has a vision of keeping error free financial records and believes in timely reporting.
Kiiza is seeking a position in which his extensive experience will be further developed and utilised.
Kiiza consistently believes in taking on any opportunity that can be a breakthrough for the Organisation in as far as
meeting the organizational goals and needs.
MSc. – Financial Management – On going Uganda Management Institute ( U M I )
P G D – Financial Management Uganda Management Institute ( U M I )
Certified Public Accountant of Uganda – Level II
- On going
Institute Of Certified Public Accountant of
Degree in B Com Accounting Makerere University
Diploma in Business Studies (1994) Makerere University Business School (MUBS)
Advanced Certificate of Education (1992) Kololo High School
Uganda Certificate of Education (1989) Bustibo Senior Secondary School
Short & Certificate Courses
Quality Assurance Uganda Management Institute ( U M I )
Strategic Procurement andLogistics
Management SPLM April – July 2004
Computerised Accounting Using Navision HRP Solutions
Computerised Accounting Using Navision Bitech International
Stores Management Management Training & Advisory Centre
Project Planning and Management YMCA Kampala
Principles & Practise of ART TASO Training Centre Kanyanya
Customer Care Training Uganda Management Institute –UMI
Certificate in Basic Computer Applications JM Computer Services
1. FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION OFFICER – TDH NL APRIL 2015 – FEBRUARY 2016
• In cooperation with the country manager assist in day to day running of the office and administer office budget,
payment of bills, utilities and supplies, security and insurance of staff and assets .
• Monitor the implementation of finance and cash management policies and procedures.
• Take lead to ensure smooth office audits undertaken by the regional office or head office.
• Ensure TdH compliance to laws, regulations, and other statutory requirements.
• Preparing and closing of monthly, quarterly, and annual accounts.
• Scrutinize source documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of figures and underlying transactions.
• Monitoring all expenditures to ensure they remain within authorized levels.
• Reviewing all account balances for any discrepancies and seeking to reconcile these variances.
Office Budget and Budget Administration
• Preparing supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates
and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
• Working with Program Staff to extract information and generate expenditure reports from computerized
information system and highlight areas of concern for the attention
• Monitoring expenditures generated in Navision Dynamics and compare with approved budget; prepare
adjustments as necessary.
• Preparing budget performance reports and highlighting all variances if any.
• Keenly reviewing the status of all relevant expenditures and compare them with the approved budget
3. Grant Management and Grant Partners Coordination
• Monitoring grant agreements to ensure spending is within obligated budgets and approved periods; seek approval
from Regional Office when existing agreements are modified.
• Reviewing grant proposals to ensure that the planned activities are correctly coded according to the corporate
• Reviewing all Grant agreements’ financial sections to ensure financial terms are reasonable, practical and do not
contradict the TDH policies and guidelines as well as government guidelines.
• Proactively set up systems that enable Implementing Partners respect the agreements’ financial terms and
requirements, such as special reports and justification of cost.
• Coordinating the submission of quarterly and annual financial reports in accordance with Grant agreements.
• Ensuring supporting documents are accurate and financial reports and the cost can be accurately explained.
• Ensuring grant liability balances are analysed and reconciled on a regular basis and Ensuring that balance due to
Implementing Partners is remitted in accordance with the Grant Agreements.
• Making regular site visit and keenly review site visit reports by program staff and following up on action points.
• Leading the processes for timely Reporting, Audit and complete closure of all expired grants.
• Capacity building of partners: Working with project partners, giving training in financial management and giving
direction so that they improve on quality of work, sustainability of results and the desired outputs.
• Prepare yearly plan of audit schedule for partners and submit to the regional office
• Facilitate in the selection process for auditors for partner audits;
• Secure approval of audit engagement and budget from RO prior to audit fieldwork;
• Ensure availability of sufficient cash in the Operations Account, establishing cash balance monitoring systems to
ensure timely accounts’ replenishments.
• Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are performed in accordance with the Bank Reconciliation Procedure
for all bank accounts and approved bank reconciliation formats are submitted to Regional Office on timely basis.
• Monitor currency exchange rates and alert management when unexpected changes occur. Institute measures to
mitigate unfavourable foreign currency exchange exposure.
• Look out for efficient and innovative solutions to cash management such as electronic banking and mobile
banking as well as designing and implementing Internal Controls to such innovations.
• Conduct banking activities on behalf of tdh nl as a bank agent.
• Monitor bank balances to ensure availability of funds and
• Initiate timely funds requests from Head Office to ensure continuous work flow.
• Ensuring all cash resources received are receipted and recorded
• Ensuring safe custody of cash and cheque books.
• Carry out regular and surprise cash counts, cash records analysis and reconciliation.
• Ensure petty cash management procedures are observed as spelt out in the finance manual.
• Ensuring that all expenses are authorised and processed in a timely manner.
• Disbursing approved and processed payment to staff and suppliers against authorised vouchers.
• Manage the proper filing of accounts documentation after payments.
• Process monthly salaries and benefits for all staff.
• Ensure timely deductions and payment of statutory obligations such as WHT, NSSF, PAYE, and LST.
• Uphold the policy requirements for staff advances management.
• Ensure timely submission of travel and activity reports and ensure timely refund of unutilized cash.
4. • Maintain and update the advances schedule on a monthly basis.
• Maintain updated accounts archives through timely data entry in Navision Financials software.
• Ensure accounts data integrity by review and editing of accounts data on a regular basis.
• Compile and produce monthly and quarterly financial reports.
• Ensure adherence and compliance with legislative and Donor requirements.
Assets and Inventory
• Ensure periodic repairs to office premises, assets and equipment
• Ensure coding and proper tagging of assets and the maintaining an up to date and asset register.
• Ensure administrative procedures and standards for ordering, receipt and stock keeping and are followed.
Human Resource Management
• In conjunction with the Country Manager participate in recruitment and selection of all new staff
• Ensuring compliance with all national laws Labour & Tax Laws
• Ensuring existence of a valid contract and up-to-date job descriptions for all staff
• Ensuring annual appraisals are performed and objectives agreed with all staff
• Keeping all HR records relating to staff contracts, leave and performance appraisals.
• Updating Staff Terms and Conditions and ensuring compliance with terms contained therein
• Ensuring compliance with all policies and guidelines relating to Health & Safety Security and Discrimination
SENIOR ACCOUNTS OFFICER UMI - JAN 2011-DEC 2014
• Preparing payment vouchers and coding expenditure in line with the chart of accounts. Making correct and
complete entries of all transactions ensuring that narration relates clearly to the transaction.
• Reviewing entries captured in the system to confirm accuracy and completeness, printed copies are stamped
“PAID” and filed off. Ensuring timeliness and efficiency.
• Support the Bursar in preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual management accounts.
• Prepare Bank Reconciliation statements, and make clear recommendations to resolve Reconciliation Items.
• Support the Bursar to ensure compliance with Government of Uganda guidelines governing the Institute
operations, accounting standards, audits and financial reporting.
• Keenly review Internal Audit and Auditor General’s reports and ensuring that any concerns raised by Auditors
have been adequately addressed.
• Preparing monthly payroll, tracking salary loans, advances and their recovery.
• Preparing and submitting accurate schedules of statutory deductions within government timelines.
• Maintain gratuity fund records and update staff on the position of fund on a regular basis
• Monitoring staff activity advances, preparing reports on outstanding balance for follow up and recovery.
Reviewing submitted accountabilities to ensure that all funds are fully accounted for.
• Reviewing suppliers’ invoices and related expenditure documents against supporting documents and checking
for correctness of approvals and calculations. Reconcile payable accounts with supplier statements; Produce
periodic aging vendor summary reports
• Ensuring that all documents are filed; ensuring that files are kept within prescribed retention periods.
ASSISTANT ACCOUNTANT TASO UGANDA WESTERN REGION JAN 2010 – DEC 2010
• Ensuring appropriate finance policies, systems and procedures are maintained/ implemented.
• Keenly monitoring cash flow, and ensure that sufficient funds are always available in the bank.
• Managing all payments and ensure they are in line with approved activities.
5. • Preparing monthly and quarterly management reports.
• Preparing and submitting periodic and annual financial accounting reports to head office.
• Rendering support in the preparation of budgets and accounts to donors, as requested.
• Working closely with Auditors and assist with all audits undertaken in the office.
• Ensure TASO complies with all statutory requirements (registration, tax, returns fees etc.)
Budgeting and Budget monitoring:
• Preparing annual expenditure forecasts for the Regional Office.
• Prepare the Regional Office and Individual Project Budget Variance Analysis reports.
• Monitoring line expenses and ensure expenditures are made in line with work plans.
• Supporting the Projects staff in production and managing of budgets.
• Reviewing and monitoring of sub grants work to ensure that funds are effectively and efficiently utilized in
compliance with donor rules and regulations while heeding to TASO financial management guidelines.
• Develop Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs) between sub partners and TASO
• Monitor sub grantees by visiting activity sites to assess performance and identify areas of weakness that require
action on the grantee’s part or that require external technical assistance and follow up conclusively.
• Mentor, coach and provide capacity building to sub partner staff.
• Assist sub-guarantees to requisition funds, track expenses and prepare financial reports.
• Review sub partner accountabilities before submission to Head office.
• Coordinating partner external audits for every year
• Reviewing all partners finance reports and following up on any queries raised in previous reports
• Timely updating of partners disbursements tracker
• Ensuring partner closure out procedures are properly adhered to whenever a grant comes to an end.
• Prepare western projects’ budget variance reports and share with the finance officer
• Prepare monthly financial reports (MFRs) for all western region projects and submit Grants Manager.
Audit and Audit Processes
• Facilitating donor reviews and resolving any queries arising from the review.
• Facilitating annual project audits for the region.
• Preparing audit schedules for the region’s projects in preparation for the annual organizational audit, ensure
completeness of all supporting documentation and facilitate resolving of any queries arising from the audit.
• Managing the purchases, distribution, use and repairs of all assets and equipment.
• Ensuring that the health, safety and security procedures are adequate and implemented.
• Ensuring property maintenance and improvements are undertaken.
• Managing the day to day running of the office.
• Networking closely with other agencies/government, especially on regulatory and statutory issues.
Staff Saving Scheme
• Liaising with all stakeholders on the matters of the Scheme.
• Working closely with HR Staff on matters of the Scheme regarding saving and loan recoveries.
• Ensuring compliance with the current statutory legislation and regulations.
• Keeping up to date with amendments to pension legislation and regulations.
6. • Writing periodic reports to the Scheme leadership on the Scheme financial position and solvency.
• Producing and providing timely information to Scheme members.
• Holding stewardship of all the assets of the scheme.
• Implementing all decisions of the Scheme Leadership and AGM resolutions.
• Day to day running of the Regional Offices Accounts a function whose roles included: Writing & update manual
Cash books; Bank Reconciliations; Review & recommend payment requests. Review Navision financial data
before posting; Prepare Monthly payroll & making statutory remittances
CASHIER - TASO MASAKA: JAN 2008 – DEC 2009
• Receipting all Cash/Cheques received and timely Banking of all receipts.
• Cheque & Voucher writing.
• Paying off all approved payment requests.
• Petty cash management.
• Safe custody of Cash & cheques and all other centre valuables.
• Assist the accountant in preparation of monthly financial reports, bank reconciliations.
• Ensure all required documents are attached; calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews made
before any cash or bank payments.
• Code all expenditures as per the chart of accounts and post in the accounting software
• Ensure all income taxes, withholding taxes and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
• Properly file all finance documents. Well labeled and archived to ease retrieval.
WAREHOUSE MANAGER / STORE KEEPER - TASO MASAKA: 0CT 2001 – DEC 2007
Working with user departments to initiate purchase requisitions for the replacement of stock of all
regular stores items whenever the stock level approaches the minimum.
Verifying receipt of incoming supplies against purchase orders and invoices; checking items for
damage; right quantities received and any discrepancies in materials or documentation; exercise
judgment to accept or reject damaged or incorrect supplies and materials.
Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning, and all
relevant records are properly maintained. Produce regular stock reports, as an internal control over wrong
issues or pilferage; identification and disposal of obsolete items.
Ensuring safe keeping both as to quality and quantity of materials as well as ensuring the general
cleanliness of the store / warehouse.
Recruit, train and supervise the warehouse staff, storekeepers and tally clerks.
Assess availability of space and prepare stacking/storage plans prior to commodities arrivals.
Carry our regular commodity physical random check/inventory of the warehouse to monitor both
quantity and quality of commodities stored.
Ensure security of warehouses, commodities and staff; provision of necessary tools such as pallets and
reconstitution materials and timely payment of warehouse utilities.
Arrange periodical Fumigation of infested stocks and inspection certification of damaged items.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE: MASTERMIND TOBACCO (U) LTD AUG 2000-OCT 2001
• Maintaining and developing relationships with existing customers, visiting potential customers so as to gain a
clear understanding of customers and their needs.
• Advising on forthcoming product developments, variations in price, delivery and specification and
discussing special promotions with customers.
7. • Recording sales and order information so as to review own sales performance
• Preparing periodic market and product reports to the sales manager
DEPOT CLERK: MASTERMIND TOBACCO (U) LTD JAN 2000-AUG 2000
• Receipt of stock from factory and Issuing of stock to sales men
• Making counter Sales and banking all sales proceeds
• Ensuring timely payment of Depot Rent & utilities
ACCOUNTS ASSISTANT - LAKE VIEW HOTEL MBARARA: JAN 1997 DEC 1999
• Receiving all sales proceeds from selling point cashiers, issuing receipt and banking it intact.
• Preparing payments from vouching, posting and recording into Sage software ensuring that all ledger accounts
are promptly reconciled.
• Reviewing invoices presented for payment to ensure proper authorizations and conformance with LPOs;
checking all computations on invoices and supporting documentation for accuracy before processing them for
final payment authorization.
• Preparing Payment and Journal Vouchers to specify the correct accounts code allocation and proper description
of payment attaching all required supporting documentation for verification.
• Filing all paid vouchers securely and a clear status report.
• Responds to vendors queries regarding payment related questions.
• Debt collection; engage the marketing office by providing them with appropriate information on guest account
balance, solvency and Negotiating with debtors on settlement terms and posting collections.
• Updating of the Hotel Creditors & Debtors Ledgers as well as the Assets Ledger.
• Ensuring timely settlement of all hotel utility bills, Taxes and other Vendors obligations.
Key skills and experiences
Strong understanding of accounting & financial principles processes and practices,
Proficiency with most Computer Applications both in Google Office and Ms Office.
Budgeting basics, Budget formulation and control.
Prioritizing and managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
Able to work to tight deadlines especially during the run up to the quarter-end.
Dealing effectively with delicate and important situations.
Ensuring that all policies, procedures and methodologies are being followed.
1. Alex Nduhura
Consultant, Procurement & Logistics Management
Uganda Management Institute
Tel. 0752666602 /0702666602
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
8. 2. Mr. Gunura Wilson
Consultant / Partner MoFunds
3. Ms Elizabeth N Ddungu,
Terre Des Hommes Netherlands,
P.O Box 73435; Clock Tower, Kampala
Tel. 0772431947 / 0752431947