LIPIT NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL
4th Quarter Summative Examination in
Grade 9 – English
Name: ________________________________________________ Score:___________
Section: _______________________________________________ Date:___________
Directions: Encircle the letter that corresponds to your answer.
1. Which of the following words is stressed in the second syllable?
a. adventure c. intimacy
b. comfortable d. antecedent
2. Guided by the underlined words, which of the following utterances expresses a question that
asks if it is really a TV commercial not radio.
a. This is a TV commercial? c. This is a TV commercial?
b. This is a TV commercial? d. This is a TV commercial?
3. Which of the following sentences uses the word record as a noun?
a. The teachers record their students’ scores
b. The record shows that he is often absent
c. The bookkeeper’s job is to record the accounts or transactions of a business.
d. They record some evidences of the crime.
4. Which of the following words has a diphthong?
a. boil c. birth
b. ban d. beast
5. The following words contain [ɵ] or soft th except _______
a. thin c. thaw
b. these d. theme
Directions: Read each sentence carefully and get the meaning of the italicized word from the
context. Encircle the letter of the correct answer.
6. She was a large woman with a large purse that had everything in it. It had long strap and she
carried it slung across her shoulder.
In American English, a purse is also the same as a _______.
a. Travelling bag b. wallet c. handbag
7. “Then, I won’t turn you loose,” said the woman. She did not release him.
If you hold a boy and turn him loose, you:
a. Allow him to move freely after you restrained him from movement
b. Let him escape easily
c. Ask him to stay cool and relaxed
8. He would make a dash for it down the hall. He could run, run, run.
If you dash,you ______.
a. Make a sudden turn around
b. Go there quickly and suddenly
c. Walk hurriedly
9. He looked as if he were fourteen or fifteen, frail and willow-wild in tennis shoes and blue
Someone who is frail is ________.
a. untidy b. rude c. thin
10. “I want a pair of blue suede shoes,” said the boy. Suede shoes are made of ____________.
a. Leather b. rubber c. plastic
Directions: Read each of the selections and questions that follow. Choose the letter of the correct
answer from the given choices.
11. What time of day is it?
The sky was crimson and tree- scattered fields stretching out into the distance were
like a red sea. Golden grains dropped heavily, ready for gathering. They were artistically
colored by the sunlight that flooded the sky. A flock of chirping birds were flying in to roost.
Along the palay- scented path, a man carrying a plow and leading the carabao walked
homeward at peace with the world. A church bell ringing from afar found its way to him. He
took off his hat and bowed.
a. dawn c. noontime
b. twilight d. siesta time
12. What season of the year is it?
a. plow time c. harvest time
b. planting season d. fiesta time
13. Where is the scenery most likely to be found?
a. in a metropolis c. in a semi-urban area
b. in an urban area d. in a rural area
14. What does sentence 4 imply?
a. that the birds are going to rest for the night c. that the birds will hatch their eggs
b. that the birds will look for food d. that the birds are going to fly away
15. Who is referred to in sentence 5?
a. a laborer c. a farmer
b. a harvester d. a butcher
16. How does man feelin Sentence 5?
a. hopeful c. happy
b. optimistic d. contented
17. All kinds of pollution are mentioned in the passage except ___.
a. soil c. water
b. noise d. air
18. Our waterways have become polluted because of ____
a. overcrowding in the metropolis
b. reclamation projects of the government
c. improper garbage disposal
d. lack of anti-pollution device in factories
19. What is the paragraph mainly about?
a. how man looks upon the earth and the vastness of the universe
b. why there is life on earth unlike in the other parts of the universe
c. how the earth differs from other parts of the universe
d. why the earth is important in spite of its small size
20. Which is a good title for the selection?
a. Life on Earth c. Our Home Planet
b. Earth- A Unique Planet d. Beautiful Earth
Directions: Read the questions carefully. Encircle the letter of the correct answer.
21. Which of the following sentences is a passive construction?
a. I wonder why you polish the car so carefully.
b. Joed polished the car.
c. The car is driven by Zandree.
d. The traffic enforcer calls the driver’s attention.
22. The following sentences are active except ____________.
a. Every mother dreams big for her children.
b. Parents save money for their family.
c. The father works very hard abroad to earn more income.
d. The children’s future is secured.
For too many years, contamination and pollution has been allowed to
happen.People havelitteredtheirsurroundings.Factorieshave lettheirsmoke rise
intothe air, coloringandobscuringvision.Rivershave beenmade receptaclesof all
kinds of waste which have killed aquatic plants and animals.
Our earthis onlya speckinthe universe but it is a very special part. For our earth
islargelymade upof formsof matter that are rare in the universe. The universe has stars
as hot as 35, 000,000 ˚F. It has empty spaces as cold as 459.6˚F. But our earth has just the
right temperature for the rare and delicate forms of matter such as the plants and
animals. It is the most important to man, of course, who can look at the world around
him- fromthe tiniestlivingthingsina drop of water to the vastness of the universe… and
marvel at its wonders.
23. Which of the following is the past perfect passive form of the verb, write.
a. written c. had written
b. has written d. had been written
24. Which of the sentences below is the active construction of the given passive construction?
“Death of a Salesman was written by Arthur Miller.”
a. Arthur Miller writes Death of a Salesman.
b. Arthur Miller wrote Death of a Salesman.
c. Arthur Miller has written Death of a Salesman.
d. Arthur Miller had written Death of a Salesman.
25. Which is the passive construction of the following sentence? “ A broken family creates
a. Tension is created by a broken family.
b. Tension was created by a broken family.
c. Tension is being created by a broken family.
d. Tension has been created by a broken family.
26- 30. Directions: Encircle the correct form of the verb to complete each of the sentences
26. “I __________ by the laboratory result yesterday.”
a. am bothered c. were bothered
b. was bothered d. had been bothered
27. Sibling rivalry __________ by two brothers
a. was created c. am created
b. were created d. are created
28. Sufferings and frustrations _________ by some successfulmen in our time.
a. is experienced c. was experienced
b. were experienced d. has been experienced
29. Willy __________ when he saw Linda mending her stockings.
a. is angered c. has been angered
b. was angered d. were angered
30. The largest financial crisis of the 20th century ___________ by the Great Depression.
a. is formed c. was formed
b. has been formed d. were formed
Direct Speech and Indirect Speech
Directions: Encircle the letter of the correct indirect/reported speech of each of the given direct
31. Via says,“I am the Vice President of the association.”
a. Via says that she was the Vice President of the association.
b. Via says that she is the Vice President of the association.
32. Jenny said, “The students submit their projects on time”
a. Jenny said that the students submitted their projects on time.
b. Jenny said that the students submit their projects on time.
33. Mr. Mendoza told his students, “Report to me at 2:00 P.M.”
a. Mr. Mendoza told his students to report to him at 2:00 P.M.
b. Mr. Mendoza told his students that they will report to him at 2:00 P.M.
34. Xarex asks his friends, “What are your plans?”
a. Xarex asks his friends what are their plans.
b. Xarex asks his friends what their plans are.
35. The teacher said to her students, “Filipinos have close family ties”
a. The teacher said to her students that Filipinos had close family ties.
b. The teacher said to her students that Filipinos have close family ties.
Directions: Encircle the appropriate modal to complete each of the sentences below.
36. ________ you speak any foreign language?
a. May b. Can c. Have
37. Where’s Nick? He ________ be in his office.
a. will b. should c. might
38. Take an umbrella. It ______ rain later.
a. has to b. must c. might
39. You look tired. You _______ go to bed.
a. should b. are to c. will
40. ______ it be true?
a. Must b. May c. Can
Directions: Encircle the letter of the interpretation that most faithfully expresses the meaning of
the first statement.
41 From the cradle to the grave is but a day.
a. The baby died one day after it was born.
b. The distance between the cradle and the grave is only one day’s walk
c. Life is short
42. Before the sun rises, you see the glimmer of its rays.
a. Dawn comes before sunshine
b. Our future is foreshadowed by our present inclinations
c. If you see a chance,take it so that you will be successful.
43. The silence is deafening.
a. Silence can cause deafness.
b. The deaf can’t hear anything.
c. The silence is so deep that nothing can’t be heard.
44. “Love’s not Time’s fool”
a. A The passage of time does not make love fade.
b. Time cannot fool love.
c. The passage of time does not make love seem foolish.
45. “We are not sure of sorrow, and joy was never sure”
a. Life is full of joy and sorrow.
b. Joy and sorrow don’t last.
c. There is nothing certain in life.
Directions: Below are statements to be completed and questions to be answered. Read them
carefully and encircle the letter that corresponds to your answer.
46. “What a place! Cockroaches everywhere, cobwebs and dust thick enough to plant
potatoes in!” The tone expressed is ______.
a. bitterness c. pride
b. disgust d. admiration
47. “ My heart is like a singing bird whose nest is in a watered shoot…” this line is an
example of ________
a. metaphor c. personification
b. simile d. oxymoron
48. “Oh Death! Where is thy sting!” What figure of speech is used in the given line?
a. hyperbole c. apostrophe
b. irony d. metonymy
49. He was Willy’s older brother who made a fortune in the African jungle by the time he was
a. Bernard c. Biff
b. Ben d. Charley
50. The eldest of the Loman’s boys who had difficulty finding a stable job.
a. Bernard c. Biff
b. Ben d. Charley
-- THE END –
CHEATING is always a CHOICE, never a MISTAKE.
CHARISSE M. ANDRION
Offenbar haben Sie einen Ad-Blocker installiert. Wenn Sie SlideShare auf die Whitelist für Ihren Werbeblocker setzen, helfen Sie unserer Gemeinschaft von Inhaltserstellern.
Sie hassen Werbung?
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert.
Wir haben unsere Datenschutzbestimmungen aktualisiert, um den neuen globalen Regeln zum Thema Datenschutzbestimmungen gerecht zu werden und dir einen Einblick in die begrenzten Möglichkeiten zu geben, wie wir deine Daten nutzen.
Die Einzelheiten findest du unten. Indem du sie akzeptierst, erklärst du dich mit den aktualisierten Datenschutzbestimmungen einverstanden.