Elements Of Civil Engineering
Brief information about building bye-laws.
Topics covers:- Introduction to building bye-laws, objective, Bye-laws, FAR, jurisdiction, Need of bye-laws, Advantages, Zonal level bye-laws.
Hope you like the presentation
1. Principle and Building Bye Laws
Active Learning Assessment
Elements of Civil Engineering(2110004)
Made by:- Burhanuddin Kapadia
Enrolment num:- 170120119026
Class : ME H2
Submitted to: Prof. Juhil Kapatel
• Objective of Bye laws
• Bye laws
• Need of bye laws
• Zoning bye law process
• A by-law (or bye-law) is a rule or law established by an
organization or community to regulate itself, as allowed
or provided for by some higher authority.
• Before starting the planning process of an area one must
have the knowledge of bye laws
• The bye laws are framed by the state
• Under the building code IS 1256-1967
• Bye laws differ from state to state
• Township development programmes are undertaken by
state government known by CIDCO(City & Industrial
• In urban areas municipal corporation and in rural areas
panchayat is acting as a local body to control building
• AMC(Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation) &
AUDA( Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority)
governs at urban areas.
• Every local authority has 2 types of areas under its
HAVE HIGHERHAVE HIGHER
BYE LAWS AREBYE LAWS ARE
FRAMED LIBERALLYFRAMED LIBERALLY
AREA IS IN TOWN
6. Bye Laws
• Line of building frontage
• Open space around residential building
• Provisions of lighting & ventilations
• Provision from safety and fire explosion
• Provision for drainage and sanitation
• Requirement for off street parking spaces
• Requirement for greenbelt & landscaping
• Special requirement for low income group
• F.A.R and Ground Coverage.
• Setbacks and Projections.
• Basements and Parking Spaces.
• Well and well type structures.
• Area and area usages.
• Atrium and ornamental structures.
• Building height and other Service Spaces.
• Site Design and service design( sewerage ,water and electrical design)
• and many more….
• The Building Bye-Laws shall apply to the building activity
in the State/Urban Center/Town for which they are
framed and the same shall be unambiguously specified in
the Building Bye Laws.
• It is desirable that the jurisdiction of building bye laws
includes all contiguous urban settlements in an urban
10. Applicability of Building Bye Laws
• Applicable with all master plan/development
plan/regional plan/any other statutory plan in force, if
any, amended from time to time and shall be applicable
for a period of 5 years
• Till such time the reviewed building byelaws are notified,
these building byelaws will continue to be in force
• If such rules are not made, house owner may construct a plan as
per his whims and fancies.
• Which can disturb the neighbours
• Maintain and implement the bye laws to provide proper
ventilation, privacy, security, and safety between neighbours
• There should be some standards on which building designs can be
• Keeping this need of standardization in mind certain rules and
regulations that one should follow while constructing a building.
• Rules and regulations formed by government to regulate the
construction of the buildings known as Building by laws or Building
• It permits acquisition of land for future widening of the
• It prevents formation of blind corners at the intersection
of the streets and ensures improved visibility for the user
of the road.
• It reduces impacts of street dust and noise, smoke etc,
produced by the vehicular traffic on the occupants of the
• The portion of set back land can be conveniently used for
parking gardening etc.
13. Zoning Bye Law Process
• A zoning by-law controls the use of land in our
community. It includes:
• how land may be used
• where buildings and other structures can be located
• the types of buildings that are permitted and how they
may be used
• the lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements,
building heights and setbacks from the street