Navigational aids in waterways and infrastructure development with
1. Navigational Aids In Waterways
And Infrastructure Development
With Respect To Transportation
2. Content Of The Presentation
Importance Of Navigational Aids
Types Of Navigational Aids
Infrastructure Development With Respect To
Transport infrastructure in India
Advantages of IWT
• The expression "Aid To Navigation" signifies any item or gadget, outside to a vessel that is
expected to help a guide in fixing his position or deciding a protected course past perils to
• It incorporates both fixed and gliding items like lights, light ships, floats, day guides, and
haze signals, in addition to electronic guides to route like radio reference points.
• They likewise serve to caution of concealed perils and help with making landfall when
drawing nearer from the high oceans. They additionally give a constant chain of diagrammed
marks, showing improved diverts and aiding beach front steering.
4. Importance Of Navigational Aids
and can act as
Help to improve
safety at seas.
in a wide
with respect to
land or any
5. Types Of Navigational Aids
Depending upon structure.........
There are two types of navigational aids.
1) Fixed structures
2) Floating structures
Depending upon service and visibility....
There are four types of navigational aids
1) Coast approach light station
2) Obstruction light station
3) Approach channel lighting
4) Harbour light signal
6. A. Fixed Navigational Structures
• For the navigational reason at the port or harbor find the light framework on the docks.
7. B. Beacon Lights
• A beacon is a purposefully obvious gadget intended to stand out to a particular area
Signals can likewise be joined with semaphoric or different markers to give significant data,
like the route of the boats.
• Signals help manage guides to their destinators.
• Types of navigational beacons:
1) Radar reflectors
2) Radio beacons
3) sonic and visual signals
8. 1. Radar Reflectors
• Radar reflectors is an item identification framework that utilizations radio waves to
decide the reach, point or speed of articles.
Radar Beacon At The
Range Of Mumbai
Port Radar Beacon
9. 2. Radio beacons
• A Radio beacons is a transmitter at a known area on indicated radio recurrence.
10. 3. Sonic and visual signals
• Visual reference points range from little, single-pipe structure to large beacon or
light station and can be situated ashore or water.
• There are additionally utilized of lights in route of boats at harbor, as fixed light,
Occulting light, Flashing light and shaded light.
11. C. Light house
• It is a grand design prevalently worked of workmanship or built up concrete looking
like a tall pinnacle on a high platform.
• The pinnacle is partitioned into advantageous number of floors, the highest floor
containing amazing lighting hardware and its working apparatus.
• The lower floors are utilized, as stores and parlors essential for the upkeep and
working of the light station.
• Beacons might be situated on shore or on islands from the mainland as on account
of caution light stations.
• In the previous case, the beacon might be handily
associated with the closest town or municipality by
legitimate correspondences, while in the later
circumstance it is situated far habited region.
• Basically needed to help guide in leading the vessels
during night hours. Consequently, the pilot should know
about the light attributes of the guides to route. Beacon
is one of the significant lit navigational guide, are set in
a tallness with incredible light to help the pilot or any
place a peril requires an admonition.
13. Components of light house
• Regardless of whether beacon do change enormously because of their use and
location, they additionally have comparative parts any place they might be. Each
design has a light station that is made out of the pinnacle and all its basic structures
like the fuel house, living quarters of the keeper, fog-flagging structure, and boat
• The Lantern Room is the place where the light and focal point are found. It
is usually a glassed-in quarter situated at the highest point of the pinnacle structure
where the light is worked by the guardian. The glasses are storm confirmation and
there is additionally a ventilator for the delivering of the smoke and warmth develop.
An establishing framework and lightning pole are associated with the Cupola to give
security against lightning strikes.
16. 1. Light ships
• Lightship is a boat which is go about as beacon. They are utilized in waters the are
to profound or inadmissible for beacon.
• First lightship was posted in 1820 in United States in Elizabeth stream.
• A while later, for a period lightships multiplied; however their number has
consistently diminished Light ships mark the passageways to harbors or estuaries,
dangerous shoals lying in much frequented waters.
• Upkeep cost is high for Light ships when contrast with beacon.
• ID of lights guide should be acquainted with the lights and their qualities imprinted in
the outline to recognize each light effectively. Each light is allocated with attributes
of shading and off-on periods for simple ID.
• vessel will be deceive when the pilot neglect to recognize lights accurately.
• The shade of the light and blazing qualities in a full cycle ought to be painstakingly
noted by the guide.
18. 2. Buoys
• Floats are coasting structures, secured to the lower part of the ocean. Used to
stamp channels and fairways, sandbars, rocks, wrecks and different perils to route.
• Floats are coasting objects vigorously moored to the base that are planned to pass
on data to a guide by their shape and shading, by the attributes of a noticeable or
perceptible sign or a blend of at least two such highlights.
• Floats have good grades and show light. What's more, they have likewise fitted with
radar reflectors and sound signs.
• Floats are maybe the biggest classification of helps of route and come in numerous
• Here are some basic types of Buoys as shown below:
1. Bell buoy
2. Lighted buoy
3. Nun buoy
4. Spar Buoys
5. Can buoy
20. Bell buoy
• Have level tops, conquered by a
structure supporting a ringer
• The movement of the ocean sounds
more established chime floats
• More current sorts are consequently by
packed gas or power
21. Lighted buoy
• A Lighted floats convey batteries
or gas tank and have a
framework that upholds a light.
• A fixed light might be on either
a green or red channel float.
• A standard span light blazing at
not in excess of thirty glimmers
each moment might be on either a
green or red float.
22. Nun buoy
• a float denotes the LEFT half of the channel leaving a harbor. It will be RED and have
EVEN number on it.
23. Spar Buoys
• Floats Upright wooden shafts, or
containers of steel which are
frequently used to check impediment
24. Can buoy
• A float with a level bested round and
hollow shape above water, denoting the
left half of a channel driving into a harbor:
red in British waters however green
(incidentally dark) in US waters.
• Inland water transport (IWT) has been considered as savvy, relative eco-friendly, climate well
disposed and greater business producing method of transport.
• Various nations are presently stepping up and utilize the current limit and making interest in IWT.
• IWT is a decent choice for development of mass payload like coal, steel, concrete, POL,
composts, food grains, stone chips, project freight, consumable oil, ODC, silica sand and so forth
• IWT grew well in British India; endured in twentieth century when center moved to rail and street
• Today India has a broad organization of waterways, trenches, rivulets and so forth of around
14500 kms, of which 5700 kms are safe with automated vessels.
• IWAI-the framework supplier, engineer and controller was set up in October 1986
• Just National Water ways go under the domain of Central Govt./IWAI
• Different streams are in the space of particular State Governments Goa, West
Bengal, Assam, Mumbai, Kerala have coordinated development of payload
• Load development by IWT showing expanding trend:55.82 million ton in 2007 08
from 32.48 million tons in 2003-04
• How ever, this is only 0.34% of the all out inland load of around 1000 btkm!!
• Focus of about 2% by 2025
28. Advantages of IWT
• During flood season, when different methods of transport are not in activity, just IWT
mode is the connecting course for the NE area to the remainder of the country.
Food grains and other fundamental items are being taken to the NE area just
through IWT mode during flood season.
• Mass wares and over dimensional payload (for erection of plants, projects and so
forth) can be effectively taken through IWT mode to different objections in the NE
after its import at Kolkata/Haldia ports.
• IWT will create as an elective method of transport-the improvement will make the
waterway route commendable for protected and smooth activity of payload
• Moving cargo through barges helps in diminishing the degree of clog on street and rail
• As it is climate cordial, it makes less commotion contamination and diminishes
poisons levels noticeable all around along these lines decreasing use on clinical guide
• Legitimate bandalling and channel upkeep will forestall soil disintegration and siltation
of waterways, give better nature of water and guarantee biodiversity around there.
• Improvement of the travel industry circuits - Guwahati-Kaziranga through Tezpur,
Tezpur-Singri-Viswanath, and Kaziranga-Jorhat (Neamati) Sibsagar.
• Expansion in exchange and trade.
• Annual Report 2007-08 of Inland Waterways Authority of India
• BINDRA : DOCKS AND HARBOUR