EDU 04.9 Theoretical base
Dr Asha k Thomas
Mount tabour training
* Robert hooke (1635-1703) was the 17 th century
* Robert hooke was born in 1635,on the Isle of
wight..(Island of the southern coast of England)
*The most notable discovery came in 1665
*Education is wetminster in london
*published work including micrographia.
• Building Telescope - In 1653 at the age of 18
,Hooke began studying at christ church college at
the university of Oxford ,where he spent much
more time for building Telescope.Discovery of fifth
star - one of the Hooks greatest discoveries was
that of the fifth star in the trapezium of the orion
• Gregorian telescope- Hooks became one of the
first scientist to build a working Gregorian
• This was the second successful reflecting Telescope
designed by scottish mathematicianJamesGregory.
• James Gregory was unable to make his telescope
work but 10 years later ,hooke achieved his task for
• After sir Issac newton hooke published some of his
findings on low of gravity.
• In 1660,Hookes discovered a physical law -Hooke's
• Hook's law stated that the force needed to extend
or compress spring is proportional to the distance
it is stretched.
• The force of gravity - In a lecture in 1670,hookes
correctly said that gravity applied to all celestial
bodies and that the force of gravity between bodies
decreases with the distance between them.If force
were to be removed , the celestial bodies would
move straight lines.
• Hooke the Architect -while working as a
scientist,hooke developed a sideline carrier as a
architect .people liked his designs for buildings, and
he was appointed to be surveyar to the city of the
London.In fact he made much more money as an
architect than as a scientist ,because he designed
many of the buildings that replaced those destroyed
by the great fire of London in 1666.
• In 1662,hooke was given the role of curator of
Experiments for the Royal society.
• In 1663,he invented the 5 main metrological
and rain gauge and wind gauge.The barometer
invented by hooke was the wheel barometer.which is
used to measure air atmospheric pressure.
• Microscope and cell Theory- Hooke most famous
work was discovery of living cell in 1665 and also
hooke discovered the first known microrganism,in the
form of microscopic fungi.
• First to discover jupiters great red spot
• Designed the " universal joint"it bends in any
• Designed Sash Window.
• Invented cross hairs
• Robert hooke was a English
artist,biologist,physicist,Engineer archititect and
Inventor,but his crowning glory was his book
Micrographia or some physiological Discriptions of
minute Bodies made by magnifying glases.first
published in 1665 and second published in
1667.Micrographia was a masterpiece that provided
an exquisitely illustrated Introduction to the previous
unknown microscopic world .The book containing
large etchings of insects and plant matter in high
detail inspired by his view through a microscope.
• The etchings provide insight into the ornate body
structure of flies ,fleas and gaints that are not
visible to naked eye.
• In 1745 Hentry rediscovered and reprinted as
• In 1678 publication of Hooke's " Lectures of spring"
shared his theory of Elasticity.
Honours and Awards
• The hooke medal is awarded everyear by the BSCB and
recognises an Emerging leader in cell biology.
• The medal shows Robert hook's microscope and cork
cells he first described .it was designed by Dr Brad
• Nominees must have made an outstanding contribution
to the cell biology and work predominantly in the uk or
• International agency for standards and Ratings
celebrates 28 july as Robert Hooke Award day.
• He became a fellow of the Royal society in 1663.
• British historian Allen chapman refers to Hooke as
• Robert hooke is known as "Renaissance man " of
the 17 th century for his work in physics and
• Received doctor of physics degree in 1961 was
named a proffessor of Geometry in 1664.