SYMBOL OF HUMAN
The Central Railway Building (CRB) in
Chittagong city is one of the few
remaining buildings that tell the history
of two hundred years of British colonial
rule in Chittagong.
The Symbol of Chittagong's Colonial History
Although according to the Antiquities Act,
1968 (amended in 1976) all buildings
or establishments more than
100 years of age can be protected
by the state for their historical importance,
this historic building is not preserved as
an archaeological site.
Why CRB is a heritage site?
1.To exhibit an important interchange of human values, over a span of time or within a
cultural area of the world, on developments in architecture or technology, monumental arts, town-
planning or landscape design.
2. To bear a unique or at least exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition or to a civilization
which is living or which has disappeared.
3. To be an outstanding example of a type of building, architectural or technological ensemble
or landscape which illustrates (a) significant stage(s) in human history.
4. To be an outstanding example of human interaction with the environment specially when it
has become vulnerable under the impact of irreversible change.
5. To be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with
beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance
100’ wide road
80’ wide road
roads under 15’
Shat rastar matha
Tiger pass node
Lal khan bazar node
Kazir dewri node
Naval avenue node
Enayet bazar node
Radisson Blu node
BRTC bus stand
Lal khan bazar to Kazir dewri
Lal khan bazar
node Kazir dewri
Lal khan bazar to Kazir
Sat rastar mor
From: 6am- 9am
_used as jam free shortcut
*actually no jam in CRB road
*Special traffic load increases during
CRB CENTRAL ROAD
From Ispahani node to
Tiger pass node,
enayet bazar node
❑ COMMUNITY SERVICE
❑ RESTRICTED AREA
Land Use %
CHITTAGONG CITY HAS A DISTINCTIVE
TOPOGRAPHY & WIDE RANGE OF
LAND USE TYPES.
TOPOGRAPHY OF CRB:
TOPOGRAPHICALLY THIS ZONE IS
SITUATED UNIT OF HILL & VALLEY.
CRB BUILDING IS STUATED AT THE
RAILWAY COLONY IS SITUATED IN
FROM SHIRISHTOLA ROAD
THIS IS NOT APPROPRIETE FOR SUCH A HERRITAGE.
WE HAVE TO SHOW OR VISIBLE FROM ATLEAST NEAREST PLACES
THIS BUFFER ZONE MADE BECAUSE OF
• IT’S AN OFFICIAL BUILDING
• NOISE WILL BE REDUCTED
1. Existence Of Spontaneous Identities With Strong
2. Act Like A Natural Filter And Buffer Space.
3. Recreation Center For Chittagonian People.
4. British Colonial Architectures Are Being
Protected By Govt. Offices And Residences
5. Strong Neighborhood.
6. Radison Blu Is The 5 Star Hotel Where
Foreigner Can Visit This So Easily
1. Public Function Is Less In CRB
2. Less Parking Space In CRB
3. Lack Of Successful Action In
Commerce, Nightlife Culture And
4. Lack Of Storm Water Management
5. During Holidays It Becomes A Very
Law & safety issue
1.Poor security for building
2.Uncontrolled traffic circulation
3.Possible crime area
4.Security flaw in restricted area
HIGH POTENTIAL OF TOURIST ATTRACTIVENESS
CAN BE CULTURAL HERITAGE
RAILWAY HOSPITAL CAN BE FAMOUS WORLD WIDE
IS WE INCREASE THE FACILITY
UNHYGIENIC LIVING CONDITION IN RAILWAY SLUM
PRONE TO LAND SLIDE
RAIN TREES CAN BE TREAT AS TYPHOON OCCURS IN
The CRB Building And Surrounding
Site Should Be Listed For Conservation.
• The Building And Site Should Cater To Tourism
And Some Sections Of The Building Should Open
To Public With The Imposition Of An Entry Fee.
• The Site May Be Developed With Trails
And Walkways For Tourism.
• All Assorted Structures On The,
Which Destroys The Settings Of The Outer Boundary Building
Creating Visual Obstruction From The Road, Should B e REMOVED
• The Hospital Area May Be Developed With
Sensitivity To Replace Existing Dilapidated Houses
With More Intensive Development
• No Commercial Use Or
Apartment Building Should Be
• All slums and squatters within its area should be
removed. They may be relocated in two
designated sites in a planned manner.
• Civic building/institute/tourism related building
might be permitted. Some bungalows / grounds
may be made open for public recreational use
promoting tourism as for example birds’ park,
museum, butterfly etc.
Implementing Agency: BR/CDA / Other