Alternative medicine are interventions that
differ from the traditional or conventional
biomedical treatment of disease.
Its an intervention that is used instead of
4. Evolution of Health since
Antiquity in India
• 3000 BC- Medicine in India originated
• 800- 600 AD- Golden period of Indian Medicine
• 800 BC- Atreya, 1st physician
• 800 BC – 400 AD- Sushruta (Sushruta Samhita)
• 200 AD- Charaka (Charaka Samhita)
6. After independence…
• After 1947 GOI recognized merits of CAM.
• March 1995 - separate dept of Indian System
of Medicine & Homeopathy (ISM&H)
• Nov 2003 - Renamed as Department of
• Nov 2014 - A fully independent Ministry of
AYUSH was formed.
7. • 733 institutes offering UG courses
• 413 institutes offering PG courses
• National Health Policy of India:
- Functional linkage of AYUSH
- Inclusion of YOGA
• According to National Center for
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Biologically based methods.
Energy medicine systems.
Manipulative & body based practices.
Mind body medicine systems.
Whole body medical systems
11. 1.BIOLOGICALLY BASED METHODS
• HERBAL MEDICINE
• DIET & NUTRITION SUPPLEMENTS.
• Biologically based practices use substances
found in nature such as herbs, foods, vitamins,
and other natural substances
12. 2.ENERGY MEDICINE SYSTEMS..
• ELECTRO MAGNETIC FIELDS
• THERAPEUTIC TOUCH
– Biofield therapies are intended to influence energy fields
that purportedly surround and penetrate the body.
– Bioelectromagnetic-based therapies use verifiable
electromagnetic fields, such as pulsed fields, alternating-
current or direct-current fields in an unconventional
13. 3.MANIPULATIVE & BODY
• AROMA THERAPY
• MASSAGE THERAPY
• Manipulative and body-based practices feature
manipulation or movement of body parts, such as is
done in chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation
14. 4. MIND BODY MEDICAL SYSTEM
• Mind-body medicine takes a holistic approach to
health that explores the interconnection between
the mind, body, and spirit. It works under the
premise that the mind can affect "bodily functions
15. 5.WHOLE BODY MEDICAL SYSTEM…
• TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE
• Traditional Hindu system of medicine.
• Practiced in India since 1st century AD
• Basic Principles: a) Panchmahabootas (Space, Air,
Fire, Water, Earth)
b) Tridosha theory
18. Ayurveda – health & sickness….
Health & sickness- depends on presence or
absence of balanced state of total body matrix.
Both intrinsic & extrinsic factors can cause
disturbance in natural equilibrium leads to
Cause of loss of equilibrium:
Improper exercise, incompatible action of
body & mind
19. Ayurveda – diagnosis …
General physical examination.
Examine skin, ear, tongue, eyes including
tactile & auditory functions.
Examination of feces.
21. Ayurveda - treatment
i. Regulating the diet & activity.
ii. Correcting life routine & behavior .
iii. Restoring to preventive panchakarma.
iv. Rasayana therapy.
v. Purification treatment.
vi. Palliative treatment
viii. Avoidance of disease causative factor
24. 3.Prescription of diet & activities…
• Its indications & contraindications in
respect of diet, activity, habits &
• Emphasis on dos & don'ts of diet to stimulate
agni & optimize digestion & assimilation of
25. 4.Avoidance of disease causing &
• This is to avoid the known disease causing
factors in diet & life style of the patient.
• It stress to refrain from precipitating &
aggravating disease factors.
• Yoga is a science of holistic living.
• “Yuj” means to unite or integrate total
initiations of physical ,mental ,intellectual and
spiritual aspects of human personality .
• It aims at the harmonious development of
body mind and soul.
• Uses: Treat Anxiety, Fatigue, Mental
30. Principles of naturopathy….
All disease, their cause, & their treatment are one.
The basic cause of disease is not bacteria.
(accumulation of morbid matter….)
Acute diseases are our friends not the enemies.
Chronic disease are the out comeof wrong treatment
& suppression of acute disease.
Nature is the greatest healer.
In naturopathy patient is treated not the disease.
31. Naturopathy principles contd…
Diagnosis is easily possible. No need for long
Chronic ailments are also treated successfully.
Nature cure treats physical, mental, social & spiritual
Nature cure treats body as a whole instead of giving
treatment to each organ separately.
It does not use medicines "food in medicine".
• Father: Hippocrates
• According to the principles and philosophy of Unani Medicine, disease is a natural
• Its symptoms are the reactions of the body to the disease, and the chief function of
the physician is to aid the natural forces of the body.
• Principle: 2 theory
• Hippocratic theory of four humors
• Pythagorian theory of four proximate qualities
38. SIDDHA MEDICINE….
Oldest medicine in India.
Meaning – achievement.
18 siddhars were formulated therapy from
BASIC PRINCIPLE: TRIGUNA THEORY
39. MATERIA MEDICA…
SIDDHA SYSTEM has developed a rich &
unique treasure of drug knowledge by use of
metals & minerals.
25 varieties of water soluble inorganic
compounds called UPPU. (alkali &salts.)
64 varieties of mineral drugs insoluble in water
but vapors when put in fire.
32 of these are natural & 32 are artificial.
40. Materia medica contd..
System has classified into metals & alloys which melt
when heated & solidifies when cooled
These are incinerated in special process & used in
41. Siddha contd…
All types of disease other than emergencies.
All types of skin problem –
Disease of liver, &
GI tract, general disability,
Postpartum anemia, diarrhea &
General fever, allergic disorder, arthritis.
42. Diagnosis in siddha medicine
• Identification of the cause
• Examination of : pulse
colour of the body &
43. Care of women's health….
Siddha strongly advocate breast feeding.
It believes in food itself in medicine.
Nursing & lactating mothers are advised iron,
protein & fiber rich diet to prevent nutritional
Once in 15 days mothers are advised to take
It also treat menopausal syndromes especially
problem with hormonal imbalance.
Father: Dr. Samuel Hahnemann
Its based on main law :
Similia, similibus, curantur – similars
Disturbance in vital force leads disease.
Living against nature.
Day to-day life stress.
46. Homeopathy principles….
Similar symptoms cure a disease expressing with
Any particular symptom in its substance form in the
human body produces a set of symptoms in the
To get rid off the same sets of symptoms of a diseased
individual when given in a refined/ defined form.
Currently 3000 remedies documented for human illness.
Revitalize the injured vital force.
No side effects of the medicine in human organism.
Treatment without surgeries:
Sinusitis, tonsillitis, hemorrhoids, renal calculi, fissure &
fistula in ano, disc prolapse.
49. DIET THERAPIES…
• The Gerson Therapy is a powerful, natural
treatment that activates the body's own
healing mechanism through consuming
organic vegetarian foods and juices,
detoxification and natural supplements.
50. 2.KELLY REGIMEN
• The Kelley regimen is a metabolic therapy that
became one of the most well-known alternative
cancer treatments in the 1970s.
• It was developed in the early 1960s by an
orthodontist, William Kelley
• The Kelley regimen includes drinking juices,
receiving coffee enemas, and taking nutritional
supplements such as pancreatic enzymes.
51. 3.KETOGENIC DIET
• The ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate
protein, low carbohydrate diet, primarily used
to treat refractory epilepsy in children
52. 4. MACROBIOTIC DIET
• Dietary regimen that involves eating grains as
a staple food supplemented with other
foodstuffs such as vegetables and beans, and
avoiding the use of highly processed or refined
• The term "acupuncture" describes a family of
procedures involving the stimulation of anatomical
points on the body using a variety of techniques.
• The acupuncture technique that has been most often
studied scientifically involves penetrating the skin
with thin, solid, metallic needles that are manipulated
by the hands or by electrical stimulation.
• Biofeedback is a non-invasive
form of treatment.
• The therapist attaches sensors or
electrodes to the body and these
sensors provide a variety of readings.
63. 1.AROMA THERAPIES
• The modes of application of aromatherapy include:
• Aerial diffusion: for environmental fragrancing or
• Direct inhalation: for respiratory disinfection,
decongestion, expectoration as well as psychological
• Topical applications: for general massage, baths,
compresses, therapeutic skin care.
64. 2. ART THERAPY
• Art therapy is a form of expressive therapy
that uses art materials, such as paints, chalk
65. 3.HYDRO THERAPY
• It's the generic term for water therapies using jets,
underwater massage and mineral baths
• Cold Plunge