2. ABOUT PANIPAT THERMAL POWER
• Panipat thermal power plant is a unit of H.P.G.C.L .
• With the main objective to generate power in the state of haryana in most
efficient manner on commercial lines and follows P2P theory of producing
• Total generating capacity of PANIPAT THERMAL POWER PLANT is 1367.8MW.
Salient Features Of The Power Plant Are As Under:-
SR.NO THERMAL POWER
1. STAGE -I UNIT-1 ,II7.8MW
2. STAGE-II UNIT-3 ,110MW
3. STAGE-III UNIT-5 ,210MW
4. STAGE-IV UNIT-6 ,210MW
5. STAGE-V UNIT-7 ,250MW
6. STAGE-VI UNIT-8 ,250MW
3. RAW MATERIALS REQUIRED FOR
• The raw water required is taken from western Yamuna canal through a
• This water is put in water treatment plant and demineralization is done to
use it in a proper way.
• Various pumps are used to supply this water to boiler to convert it into
4. 2. FUEL OIL
In the power plant three types of fuel oil is used for preheating
and at low load of the boiler due to less problem faced in
ignition of oil rather than coal.
1. High speed diesel oil
2. Heavy furnace oil
3. Low sulpher heavy stock
5. 3. COAL
• It is the most important raw material required.
• The coal reaches the station in Railways Wagons.
• The unloading of wagon is done mannually or by wagon
• Then coal handling is done by coal handling plant and then
coal is put to the coal mills through conveyor belts.
6. DIFFERENT TYPES OF FLOWS IN
1. WATER FLOW
2. COAL FLOW
3. STEAM FLOW
4. ASH HANDLING
5. FLUE GASES
8. ELEMENTS OF THERMAL POWER
1. WAGON TIPPLER
• The coal is unloaded at the plant site
by means of wagon tipplers.
• It is very easy process and used
2. CONVEYOR BELTS
Conveyor belts are used to transfer
coal from storage area to the coal
Crusher and then to coal mills.
9. 3. CRUSHER
• Crusher is used to crush out
• Here the coal is crushed to a
size of 20mm .
• Then it supplied to the
bunkers of coal mills with
the help of conveyor belts.
4. COAL MILLS
• Coal mills are used to
convert coal pieces into
powder form for proper
• The powder is then transfer
to the furnace with the help
10. 5. BOILER
• It is that chamber in which fuel burns and fire blows.
• Here the coal is burnt in the presence of air so that complete combustion
• Here the water flow into tubes ,so that it converted into steam because of
11. 7. AIR PRE-HEATER
• It is used to preheat the air
before entering into furnace.
• It recovers the heat of flue gases
coming from economiser.
6. BOILER DRUM
• In boiler drum the water is converted
in steam and higher pressure which is
used to developed power in a
• In this flue gases exchange heat with water to increase the
• Economiser tubes are made up of steel either smooth or
covered with fins to increase heat transfer surface area.
14. 11. CONDENSOR
• Condenser is a surface heat exchanger.
• Exhaust steam from LP turbine enters
into condenser and here it condensate
12. HPH & LPH
• Both the heaters are used to
increase water temperature,thus
efficiency further increases.
15. 13. CHIMNEY
• It is used to release
flue gases into the
14. C00LING TOWER
• It is used to cool the
• It is a structure of
height 110m for cooling
16. 15. TURBINE
• Turbine is a part which revolves due to steam pressure. It is of three
1. High pressure turbine
2. Intermediate pressure turbine
3. Low pressure turbine
17. 16. TURBO GENERATOR
• It is the main machine which convert mechanical energy into
electrical energy .
• It is coupled with turbine and exciter .
• It is water and hydrogen gas cooled.
18. 17. TRANSFORMER
• The transformer is the most convenient & economical device for transfer
of power from one voltage to another a same frequency.
• The transformer used in plant convert 15.75kv which is supplied from
generator to 220 kv and supplied it to bus bar .
• UNIT AUXILIARY TRANSFORMER is also used which converts 15.75kv to 7
kv to fed unit auxiliary .
19. • COMPONENTS OF SWITCHYARD
1. BUS BARS
3. CIRCUIT BREAKERS
4. CURRENT TRANSFORMER(CT)
5. CAPACITIVE VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER(CVT)
6. LIGHTNING ARRESTER
7. CONTROL ROOM
20. • CIRCUIT BREAKER
• Circuit breaker is the
important device in
• It work on load.
• It work in unwanted
conditions when there is
risk of damage .
• Or where any sudden
increase in voltage.
• LIGHTNING AEERSTER
• It is device which provide low
impedance path for the flow of
current between line and earth
when the system voltage
increases more then the desire
• These are extensively used for
protection of transformer,switch
gears and other electrical