1. COLEGIO METROPOLITANO REAL DE MINAS
“Formando líderes humanistas con pensamiento empresarial”
ACUMULATIVA PERÍODO: I - 2022 ASIGNATURA: INGLÉS
DOCENTE:ANA MILENA MARTINEZ CASTILLO GRADO: ONCE FECHA:
Unit 1 | Reading
Read the text. For each question, choose the correct answer.
Social media and your job
Almost everyone has a social media profile nowadays. We use it to post pictures of ourselves hanging (1)
__________ with friends, share funny comments, and tell the world what we’re doing, but if you’re looking for a
new job you need to think about what your profile looks
(2) __________ to future employers. Companies regularly look at the social media sites of candidates and your
online profile says a lot about you. So before you apply (3) __________ that first job, have a good look at your
Instagram, Facebook or Twitter pages.
When you create a social media profile for employment purposes, it needs to be very different (4) __________
your private profile. Your professional profile needs to look, well, professional. Always (5) __________ your
spelling. Your friends and family may not care if you make spelling mistakes, but a new employer will. It tells them
that you do not pay attention
(6) __________ detail. Have something interesting to say, but don’t make it (7) __________ self-centered. Your
profile is clearly about you, but it’s important to show that you are both a knowledgeable and open-minded person
(8) __________ is interested in a range of issues. Finally, don’t put anything onto your social media profile that
you cannot support. For example, if you say you are great at problem solving, then you need to give examples to
prove this. No employer will just believe what you say on your social media site.
1 A in B out C of D for
2 A like B as C so D only
3 A at B for C with D in
4 A than B with C at D from
5 A look B watch C check D read
6 A with B for C to D at
7 A too B mostly C only D more
8 A which B what C whose D who
2. 9. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb in parentheses.
1. Ralph ___________________ for a small car like that ever since he decided to go green, but he can't find
one in his price range. (look)
2. The polar ice caps ___________________ by nine percent each year recently. (shrink)
3. He ___________________ for a long walk after work today. It really helped him calm down. (go)
4. Have you been ___________________ the amount of time you spend online? (reduce)
5. The charity I work for ___________________ several endangered species from extinction. (save)
10. Complete the questions.
1. What have they been arguing ___________________ ?
2. ___________________ you having dinner with us tonight?
3. ___________________ song do you want to listen to?
4. ___________________ anyone else waiting at the bus stop?
5. What’s the nicest museum you've ever been ___________________ ?
11. Read the sentences. Select True if the sentences are correct or False if incorrect.
1. People along the coast could be forced to move if rising sea levels continue.
2. The floods have swept away many people's homes near the river.
3. It's shocking that people would kill a rhino just for its horn. That kind of dumping
should be severely punished.
4. As more and more people cut down trees in the Amazon, animals are losing
their habitats to deforestation.
5. If everyone rode the bus to work instead of driving, we could reduce our
dependence on global warming.
12.. Choose the correct option to complete each sentence.
1. I bought a refillable bottle to take to work so I won't waste plastic with ...
a. household waste.
b. solar heating.
c. bottled water.
2. Raul always remembers to unplug his ... before leaving the house.
a. light bulbs
3. 13. You don't need the air conditioning on mild days like this. Try a ... instead.
b. Styrofoam cup
4. We've been recycling and composting to try to reduce our ...
b. reusable cloth bags.
c. household waste.
5. Have you considered ... to reduce your energy bills in the winter?
a. bottled water
b. household waste
c. solar heating
14. Complete the sentences with the correct word. The first letter is given in parentheses.
1. According to news sources, they began to (d) __________ apart when he was filming in Mexico.
2. Luis and I have always gotten (a) ____________ very well. We hardly ever fight.
3. Is it true that Ronnie and Beth are getting back (t) ___________ again?
4. You should get to (k) ___________ someone well before you make a serious commitment.
5. Jacob and Isabel aren't dating anymore. They (b) ___________ up last week.
15. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb in parentheses.
1. Has Josh ___________________ (follow) that diet for a long time?
2. Miami ___________________ (be) hit pretty hard by that hurricane last fall.
3. Marcia ___________________ (eat) a lot less meat lately.
4. I worked out at that gym for a year, but I only ___________________ (lose) five pounds.
5. Pedro ___________________ (go) to a yoga retreat on vacation last summer.
16. Choose the correct option to complete each sentence.
1. How long has that town ... having a drought?
.. Daphne has been sorting her trash into compost and recyclable materials ...
a. since some time now.
b. for some time now.
4. c. some time now.
3. How long ... a fuel-efficient car?
a. have you driving
b. have you been driving
c. do you driving
4. Jim ... from that aluminum water bottle since he was in college.
a. has been drink
b. is drinking
c. has been drinking
5. I ... harmful insecticides in my garden.
a. haven't been using
b. haven't using
c. haven't been use
Present perfect simple vs. Present perfect continuous
10. Match the parts of the sentence.
1. The polar ice caps have been a. trying to get more people to ride the bus.
2. Environmentalists have b. been arguing about the benefits of
3. The temperature in the summer c. risen in the last ten years.
4. The jellyfish population in the oceans has d. has got hotter in recent years.
5. City officials have been e. shrinking since 1979.