3. This case Explorer
• How Tata Motors, India's largest automobile company, developed the
Nano, the world's cheapest car.
• The case focuses on the translation of Mr Rattan Tata's (chairman of Tata
Motors) vision of a safe affordable car for the masses.
• The case raises questions around breaking the price-quality barrier .
• New market strategy.
• Recommendation .
• Tata seats on 108billion assets .
• Leading Automotive maker in Asia .
• Tata DoCoMo Communication .
• Tata steel.
• Owns British Luxury brand Land rover and jaguar
• But for TATA it not easy to make The people’s car which is affordable for all
type of people.
5. MARKET OF SMALL CAR’S
• Ford Model T American Peoples car($21000) .
• Volkswagen German Peoples car ($11000).
• Next Tata Nano Indians people car
• Nano cost around Half of these cars .
Ford Model T
6. • 2003cheapest car in India Maruti Suzuki 800 $4200
• Plan to make cheap car which cost around $2100
• Suzuki chairman Doubt’s quality of car
• Mr Suzuki comments that “This is not possible”
• After launch event Mr Suzuki comments that “Nano is not even a Car”
• Its important to prove wrong to Suzuki and bring The peoples car in Indian
• 2007 singur Kolkata.
• Tata began its production but
Local people protest
• Farmers complained that the state
communist government forcibly took
their land to give to Tata.
• With the help of the opposition parties,
protester opposed to the land
• Mr Rattan Tata Waits around 2 years
after that he Shutdown Plant in West
8. SANAND PLANT
While TATA struggles in their pet project one person
The Prime minister of India approached him and
promised to provide all support needed for Tata to move
the plant form Singur to Sanand.
Finally, Tata decided to move to Sanand and the first
Nano rolled off the assembly lines at Sanand soon after.
• 2200km far from west Bengal
• They shift their entire production line
• Gujarat Sanand (450hecter land)
Mr.Modi & Mr.Tata
Inauguration day of Tata nano
• It opened in last summer but its not
enough production line to meet a huge
surge of early orders .
• few cars burst into flames.
• It raising fears about the Nano’s safety.
• After fire incident there has been strong
word-of-mouth negative publicity towards
• This effects sales of this car in India.
Nano on Fire
• Maruti Suzuki 800model Is top competitor in market.
• 3-4 yeas old used car cost around 2 to 3 lakh in India
• like Chevrolet Spark and Maruti Alto
• So Nano has to stand up in this area
12. Tata New Market strategy
• Hence Tata Nano is only for Middle class people its new strategy to attract
youth towards car.
• So they work hard on their advertisement campaign .
• For attract youth they use
• Social media
• They organise Tata nano Student of the year competition all around India .
13. Attract youth
• They use all social media campaign to spread their competition
• They receive 10,311 entries in 2 weeks .
• They Aired their finale in Channel V (India's top one of the youth channel)
• Grand finale Aired in their website and YouTube channel .
• Winner ‘s are act in Movie called Student of the year and some Lucky
competitor win Tata Nano .
• By the end they move out 7 million college in India all they talking about Nano and
their strategy worked .
• Now they use their campaign to attract youth .
• “YOU AWESOME”
• They know that youth are their biggest asset.
14. FUTURE OF TATA
• Tata plan to Export Nano in
Indonesia, Eastern Europe
and also Brazil as well as
• But its very hard it has to
obey all countries road
• Tata plan another new model
only for abroad .
• Tata Nano has been a very interesting case about studying business in
India and other emerging markets. It has seen some very interesting highs
and lows which are unique to the Indian market.
• Clean up the Brand Image – Nano first of all needs to re-establish itself as
a credible brand.
• Define a clear Marketing Strategy – Nano needs to have marketing
strategies to target its real consumer.
• Focus on Other Countries – Export Nano to Indonesia, Eastern Europe and
also Brazil as well as Southeast Asia