• What is the main motive of the improve phase?
• Ans-the main aim of the improve phase is to justify the solution.
• Step-1- Generate the solutions.
• Step-2- Shortlist the solutions.
• Step-3- Refine the solutions.
• Step-4- Test the solution.
• Step-5- Justify with the help of CBA (Cost benefit Analysis).
2. Generate the solution
• Brainstorming-it is the process of collecting the information to find
out the solution.
• Structured Brainstorming
• Unstructured Brainstorming
3. Brainstorming- key considerations
• Take the multidisciplinary approach (CFT) approach.
• Where CFT- Cross functional team.
• Scribe the details (MOM).
• Focused towards the significant causes.
• Time bound approach.
• All the members must give their opinions.
• Don’t neglect the idea given by someone in the team.
4. Shortlist the solution
• There are three techniques through which we can shortlist the
• 1- Voting
• 2-Effort benefit matrix
• 3-Nominal subgroup technique
5. Brainstorming- Ex
• If a tyre is punctured of an automobile during the tour, so what will be the
solutions a driver can take?
• Replace the tyre
• Repair the tyre
• Call a mechanic- Highest rating
• Public transport
• Rent another car
• Purchase a new tyre
• Tow the car
• Take a lift
• Call a friend
6. Effort Benefit Matrix
Call a mechanic
Replacing the tyre
Repair the tyre
Rent another Car
Purchase new tyre
Call a friend
Tow the car
7. Nominal Subgroup technique
• In this technique, we have to rate the solution (1-5) and then select
the solution which has the highest rating.
• Where-1- poor
• 5- excellent
8. Refine Solution
• FMEA-Failure mode & effect analysis.
• It is one of the core tools of the quality.
• In this technique, we have to find out the potential failures at each &
every stage of the process and then identify their effects, causes &
control against it.
• We have to provide them RPN rating
• Where RPN- Risk Priority Number
• RPN- Severity X Occurrence X detection
9. Test the Solution
• After the successful refining of solution, now we have to apply it on
• To get the information that whether the solution is providing us the
favorable or adverse results.