• It is necessary to keep materials, tools and equipment in
good condition in order to achieve desired result.
• If the working equipments are in good running condition,
the products obtained will be of required quality and the
process will be reliable.
• Therefore it is necessary to maintain the plant.
Maintenance is a set of organized activities
that are carried out in order to keep the item in its
best operational condition with minimum cost
• To increase functional reliability of production facilities.
• To enable desired quality through correctly adjusted,
serviced and operated equipments.
• To maximize the useful life of equipments.
• To minimize cost of production.
• To minimize frequency of interruptions.
• To enhance the safety of manpower.
1. Because of breakdowns, both the machinery as well as
the manpower are left idle, per force.
2. This results in production, delay in schedules and
3. The downtime costs generally exceed the preventive
maintenance costs of inspection, service and scheduled
COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH MAINTENANCE
1. Downtime cost due to equipment breakdown.
2. Cost of spares and other material used for repairs.
3. Cost of maintenance labour and overheads of maintenance
4. Losses due to inefficient operations of machines.
5. Capital requirement for replacement of machines.
BENEFIT OF FAILURE STATISTICS:
1. Helps to diagnose failures when they occur.
2. Provides valuable information regarding the life and
reliability of the equipment.
3. Helps to take maintenance policy decisions.
4. Information for Spare Parts Department.
1. When the failure is due to inherent quality of the
2. Manufacturing defects.
3. Poorly installed equipments .
4. Damage due to improper handling of equipments .
1. Proper identification of all the items, their documentation
2. Inspection of plant and equipment at regular intervals.
3. Proper cleaning and lubrication of equipments.
4. It helps to upkeep the machines through minor repairs.
5. Failures are analyzed in order to eliminate future
1.Organized maintenance work intended to
restore a failed unit.
2. It includes different types of actions like
typical adjustments to redesign equipments.
3. It is a one time job and each corrective
maintenance activity undertaken should be
4. The emphasis in corrective maintenance is on
obtaining full information of all breakdown and
Predictive Maintenance as the name implies
predicting the failure before it occurs, identifying the
root causes for those failures symptoms and
eliminating those causes before they result in
extensive damage to the equipment.
It includes the maintenance activity that are carried
out while the machine or equipment is running and
they represent those activities that are performed
before the actual preventive maintenance activities
It is a scheduled service visit carried out by an
agent, to ensure that an item of equipment is
operating correctly and to therefore avoid any
unscheduled breakdown and downtime.