WHAT IS A 'BLOG’ ?
• A type of Social Media – frequently updated, personal website.
• Abbreviated Version of 'weblog’.
• Maintain ongoing chronic of info.
• Focuses on a particular topic.
• Blogosphere doubles every 5.5 months.
• Approximately 40,000 corporate blogs exist.
1. Presenting information without filters
2. Amplify marketing messages
3. Allow direct connection with online communities
4. Have more human feel
ADVANTAGES OF BLOGS
• Facilitate direct interaction between company and customers:
1. Manage transparency of company
2. Contain content which reflect current events
3. Generally tell a story
4. Create creditability
• Help exposure on the internet:
1. Bypass complicated processes
2. Generate incoming links
3. Lead to increased performance on search engines
DISADVANTAGES OF BLOGS
• Much Planning Is Needed Before Launch
• Non-supporters can post negatively.
• Corporate Blogs fail when:
1. There are no clear objectives set.
2. There are unrealistic expectations and resource allocation for the blog.
3. The writers are not sourcing content for the long term.
4. There is no feedback mechanism established.
• The Nature Conservancy
1. Cool Green Science
• Sierra Club
1. Taking the Initiative
• Defenders of Wildlife
1. My Yellowstone Wolves
OBJECTIVES OF BLOGS
• Maintain current supporter base
• Seek out potential customers
• Find company talent
• Gain positive media attention