2. Importance of Medicinal PlantsThe medicinal plants find application inpharmaceutical, cosmetic, agricultural and foodindustry. The use of the medicinal herbs for curingdisease has been documented in history of allcivilizations. Man in the pre-historic era was probablynot aware about the health hazards associated withirrational therapy. With the onset of research inmedicine, it was concluded that plants contain activeprinciples, which are responsible, for curative action ofthe herbs.
3. Let’s know about Sri Lanka First…….09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 3
4. Sri LankaSri Lanka is an island country in thenorthern Indian ocean off the southerncoast of the Indian Subcontinent in SouthAsia. Known until 1972 as Ceylon, SriLanka has maritime borders with India tothe northwest across the Gulf of Mannarand Palk Strait, and the Maldives to thesouthwest.Lying within the Indomalaya ecozone, SriLanka is one of the 25 biodiversity hotspotsin the world. Although the country isrelatively small in size, it has the highestbiodiversity per 10,000 square km in Asia.
5. Contents Bin kohomba  Ekaweriya Kithul  White Sandalwood Aththika09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 5
6. Bin K ohomba Botanical name: Munronia pinnata Common Name: Bin Kohomba Family: Meliaceae Habitat: shady forests Morphology: annual - branched, erect - running 1/2 to 1 meter in height.09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 6
7. Uses Ayurveda:cough,  Distribution: India, stomachache & as China, Sri Lanka ingredient in  Propagation: by seeds ‘Sudarshana Churna’,  Part used: roots & ‘Chandraprabha watee’ leaves Allopathy:  Special fact: shade Tuberculosis, malaria, loving plant dysentry, sores  Status: Rare Unani: skin diseases, fever, purification of blood &anti-malarial09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 7
8. K ithuL Botanical name: Caryota urens Common name: Toddy palm, Wine palm Family: Arecaceae Habitat: evergreen forests Morphology: 15m to 20m tall09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 8
9. Uses Ayurveda: snake-bite  Distribution: Sri poisoning and Lanka, Singapore, rheumatic Myanmar & India swellingsUnani: tooth  Propagation: by seeds ailments, hair growth  Part used: leaf, Allopathy: gastric branches & seeds ulcers,  Special fact: migraine,headaches ornamental plant Served as kithul especially leaves honey in Sri lankan  Status: Common villages09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 9
10. Aththika• Botanical name: Ficus Gulan• Common name: Aththika, Munivan• Family: Moraceae• Habitat: Deciduous• Morphology: 18m tall, fruit bearing09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 10
11. Uses Ayurveda: dysentry,  Distribution: Indian diabetes, leprosy, subcontinent, Vietnam asthma  Propagation: by seeds Allopathy:  Part used: bark, hypoglycemic, leaves, fruits antidiuretic,  Special fact: It has hypolipidemic important place in all Unani: cough, diseases religion of India of kidney, improve  Status: Common skin complexion09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 11
12. Ekaweriya• Botanical name: Rauvolfia serpentina• Common name: Snakeroot, Sarpagandha• Family: Apocynaceae• Habitat: Moist deciduous to evergreen forests• Morphology: 60 cm high, evergreen, perennial, flowering with eliptical leaves in the pair of three09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 12
13. Uses Ayurveda: reduces  Distribution: South blood pressure, and East Asia (from Anti-hypertensive India to China and Unani: anti- Indonesia hypertensive,  Propagation: by hypnotic, anti-dote seeds for venomous reptiles  Part used: roots Allopathy: cures mental disordes,  Special fact: It balancing blood saved life of Ptolemy pressure, dysentry from poisoned arrow.  Status: Common09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 13
14. White San dalwood• Botanical name: Santalum Album• Common name: Shwet Chandana, Santal• Family: Santalaceae• Habitat: coastal dry forests• Morphology: 4-9 m tall, upright & sometimes intertwined09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 14
15. Uses Ayurveda: urinary  Distribution: India, tract infections China, Sri Lanka, (UTIs), common cold Indonesia, Malaysia Unani: fevers, sore  Propagation: by mouth and throat seeds Allopathy:  Part used: wood, Heatstroke, leaves headache, Liver and  Special facts: It gall bladder prevents growth of problems fungus & bacteria.  Status: Vulnerable09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 15
16. Courtesy• Google• Wikipedia• Agri blog• Sri Lankan tourism websites• Other Sri Lankan websites09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 16
17. Ω SomendraV yas ♪Ankur Shar maΩHarikesh ♪Abhishek Jangid Kumar ♪Himansh Jain uΩ Bakul Sharma & Deepak Of Flyers 2C (X’C) 09/30/12 Medicinal Plants Of Sri Lanka 17