1. A systematic approach to web analytics Without sense there is non-sense Ulrich Nägele http://www.gradlinig.com
2. The Mission of a Web Analyst • The web analyst ‚measures the world‘ • The analyst tries to generate proven knowledge • The analyst derives possible future actions from the data • The analyst makes sure that action is taken
3. Web Analytics in 5 Steps1. Measure!2. Understand!3. Create a Vision!4. Persuade!5. Act!
4. Fundamental Theorem of web analytcs• Web analytics is not an end in itself• The purpose of web analytics is to find a course of action
5. 1. Measure!• Measure! Start now!• Get a web analytics package. In most cases this is a hosted solution that can be implemented in hours or a few days• Choose a web analytics package with good support• Choose software that can grow as you grow• In Europe: Think about privacy and compliance• Your users should feel safe on your website, so take care of their privacy
6. 2. Understand• Understand your business!!!• Understand every detail of the measurement• Know where the errors occur• Understand what your users do on your website• Understand the needs of your users• Understand the ‚problems‘ of your users• Find the weak spots of your website
7. 3. Create a vision!• What can you do better?• Get rid of obvious bugs• Solve the problems of your users• Satisfy their needs• Make a written plan
8. 4. Persuade!• First persuade yourself• Think critical• Ask the How? What? Who?• Persuade important people (prewire!)• You plan should find acceptance• Get a decision
9. 5. Act!
10. Web Analytics Measure Act Understand Persuade Vision
11. All 5 Steps are important • Without measurement you are blindfoldet Measure • w/o next Steps will be based on luck not on knowledge • Without good knowledge about your Understand business and the people you will draw wrong conclusions Vision • There will be no change without vision Persuade • Without persuasion you won‘t get the will and the means to suceed Act • If you don‘t take action. Web analytics is useless.
12. How to go on?• Read my blog• gradlinig. - http://www.gradlinig.com• Follow me on twitter• @gradlinigcom• Circele me on Google +• https://plus.google.com/1097408951897 68163490