2. Why did it start?Page 273 –People in Europe loved their countries. This is called__________? Do you have those same feelings about the U.S.? How would you like it if someone were ruling us?They became very _ _ _ _ _ because other countries were ruling over their country!
3. SERBIA WAS ANGRY AT AUSTRIA-HUNGRY BECAUSE THEY HAD LAND SERBIATHOUGHT SHOULD BE THEIRS. WHEN SERBIA KILLED AUSTRIA-HUNGARY’SPRINCE, AUSTRIA-HUNGARY DELCARED WAR ON SERBIA. EACH HAD ‘ALLIES’ ORFRIENDS THAT JOINED THE FIGHT TO HELP THEM.
4. One country- Russia- worried thefighting so close would affect it’strade roads so they jumped in to help Serbia!
5. Another country-Germany was helping their friend-Austria Hungary. They got mad at Russiafor helping Serbia and declared waron them! Russia declared war right back! See a trend here?You pick on my friend and I’ll beat you up! No! I’ll beat you up! Ever been involved in something like that? LOL
6. Another country-France-wasfriends with Russia. So guess what Germany did to France?Say it with me…they declared….WAR on them!
7. For Germany to attack France, they had to go through Belgium. But the King of Belgium said “No, you cannot march through my country you Germans!” Guess what Germany did to Belgium?
8. They attacked Belgium. And then Belgium’s pal-GREAT BRITAINjumped in to protect their pal anddeclared war on GERMANY. And don’t forget what country Great Britain gave birth to…
9. Americans had sympathy for themother country-Great Britain andthe Allies. BUT-most Americans said it wasn’t our fight and we wanted to remain neutral. This policy was called i_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ m
10. There were many, many newtechnologies used in World War 1 for the first time!
11. Soldiers in Europe dug great trenches like this one here to live and fight in during World War 1
12. These soldiers wear gas masks to protect from a new ‘war weapon’ – poison gas- as they hike through miles of dug out trenches.
13. These German soldiers wait in the snow to fire during WW1.
14. Soldiers ate and slept and did their business in trenches. Many times they were in them for months at a time. Phew wee! Stink-o!
15. Soldiers fought from down in the trenches. They raised up to fire their guns and put themselves at risk.
16. Going ‘over the top’ of a trench into no man’s land was dangerous!
17. This soldier falls in no man’s land as he is exposed to poison gas without a mask. Notice the hot masks being worn to protect the face from gas. 3 out of 10 men thatdied during World War one did so because of poison gas.
18. Poison gas was usually tossedacross no man’s land in containers such as these.
19. Notice the trees in no man’s land here.Everything has been totally destroyed!
20. Dead body in a trench
21. British soldiers in WW1 used the newinvention- the tank! It certainly helped cross no man’s land safer!
22. The German military came up with a secret weapon of their own-the dangerous new submarine! It would be this weapon that would help draw the U.S. into the first World War!
23. World War 1 would be the first war in thehistory of the world in which airplanes were used!
24. Here is a war plane getting ready to bomb targets in WW1.