- Federation Internationale de Football Association
- Headquarters in Zurich Switzerland
- FIFA World Cup started in 1930
FIFA Mission and Goals
- Offer fans a unique experience to witness and support football matches all around the world.
- Catch Phrase: For The Game For The World
- Mission: Develop the game, touch the world, build a better future.
- Goal: Develop programs to teach the world’s youth the game and life lessons you can learn from the game.
The Initial Crises
- Buying Presidential Votes
- Blatter accused of buying votes for upcoming election.
- Mohamed Bin Hammam, presidential challenger, also accused of bribing officials for votes.
- Spain-Portugal and England were well in the lead in the fight to host the 2018 World Cup finals.
- Corruption and bribery thought to be in play when Russia won the bid.
- Bribery expected again when Qatar wins 2022 World Cup finals bid.
Damage to FIFA
- Stakeholder- organization relationship
- Poor employee- manager relationship
- Millions of dollars taken from countries that should have properly won the World Cup finals bid.
- Blatter first denies any wrong doings in the FIFA organization, He later submits to full investigations
- Hammam and Jack Warner encourage officials to ignore the allegations against them
- Highly respected officials step down
- Blatter reforms code of conduct rules to try and prevent any further corruption within FIFA
- A published book by an English reporter was first to claim FIFA was corrupt.
- BBC aired two documentaries exposing the latest news in the scandal.
- The Sunday Times and The New York Times published widely read and very critical articles.
- The Guardian ran a blog posted online entitled “FIFA in Crisis Live Blog”
- Fans- responded on blog sites expressing their wish to get rid of Blatter and their mistrust in the organization.
- Sponsors- Express their concern to FIFA about being affiliated with the scandals. Think about withdrawing their support.
- Government- Swiss government conduct intense investigations into the allegations. They suspend and fine multiple FIFA officials.
Recommendations FIFA is not the only organization with corruption found in their system, Commonwealth Games and the Olympics have also found forms of bribery and deception within the organization
- Reinforce harsh punishments for cheating
- Create a group whose sole job description is to monitor deal makings between officials.
- Dark-site to inform stakeholders of crisis information
- Re-write the Code of Ethics and Conduct